5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

dial up vs router

A friend has just set up a wireless network for his DSL connection. Main reason was to allow his wife to connect using the DSL vs DialUp. Everything works fine.

He has always been able to use either the DSL or his DIALUP to connect to the internet. With the wireless network, he is still able to do that. On his wife's computer however, the DIALUP goes through the connection process, seems to establish a connection but when he tries to use his browser (IE 6) or OE, he gets the error messages that the page cannot be loaded or his POP server cannot be accessed. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: dial up vs router

If she has a network connection open, perhaps IE is expressing its strong preference for that connection. If she closes any shared files and then disables the LAN connection, will IE then use the dial-up connection? If so, then it's a matter of figuring out how to specify to IE "use the connection I want you to use" when it has choices. Not sure how to do that.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, She is able to use the DIALUP to make a connection to the internet. But neither Internet Explorer or Outlook Express will function. I disconnected the USB wireless adapter so there would be no conflict between it and the DIAL UP process. She is running WIN 98 SE by the way.

The issue is why would Internet Explorer and Outlook Express not function properly with the DIALUP adapter.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

My only question is, "Why does she want to use dial-up when there's a DSL line available? Am I missing something?
    Bruce

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

They want the availability of DIAL UP when the DSL is down. Unfortunately, the DSL goes down a couple of times a month.