5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Moving Temp Files Folder (Pro)

I've created some partitions in the hope of making my system more efficient and easier to manage. One of them is intended for temporary files. But how can I make sure that windows actually uses this partition? Is it possible to change the location of the Windows TEMP file? I worked out how to change the location for temporary internet files. What else can I move/direct towards this new 'temp partition'?

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

Thanks

Re: Moving Temp Files Folder (Pro)

Chris,
    I have always used a separate folder (not a partition) to un-zip files to and also a download folder to keep better track of where my downloads go.
    You could also put these in a folder in the separate partition. Makes it easy to go to these and do a regular clean out of un wanted stuff, plus have copies of the downloads that I may or may not want to keep.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, you can make Windows use a different location for temporary files. Press the Windows key + break (or right click My Computer and select Properties and you will see a box that looks like the attached. At the bottom is Environment Variables - click on that, and you will see entries for TMP and TEMP in BOTH sections. Change the path for all four instances (you can simply double-click on the entry to bring up the Edit dialog). These changes should be immediate but rebooting to be sure never hurt.

You'll notice that the default values look like this: %userprofile%temp or similar. I've changed mine to a drive letter, E:, which is my scratch partition. For Internet Explorer's temporary internet files, you will need to change the location via the Internet Options applet in the Control Panel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mark, that was very helpful and thanks Bob about the tip for making a folder for downloads. Actually I'm trying an experiment. I've created a 4GB partition for downloads. I plan to back up to DVD when it's full. After years of never using any patitions I'm experimenting with using lots of them.

All the best,

Chris