5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reorganising the Start Men (Pro)

I still find the way XP handles the start menu confusing. I have some shortcuts under Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuPrograms and some under the user account I created when installing windows. Then there's the administrator account and something else called 'default user' (I didn't create this). Both of these have a start menu though they are empty. Is it possible/advisable to delete the default user branch? Also can I move items from the All Users Start Menu to my own user account or from that to the All Users account. Will this interfere with windows ability to uninstall programs or am I merely moving shortcuts? I feel rather foolish asking these questions but I'm asking them, anyway.

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reorganising the Start Men (Pro)

If you create several user accounts on your PC, each user can have his/her own desktop, start menu etc.

Shortcuts in the All Users start menu will be available to (you guessed it) all users. So if you want an application to be available to anyone who uses the computer (for example Microsoft Word), you don't need to place a shortcut in each user's start menu; one shortcut in All Users is enough. On the other hand, if you use an application but don't want others to see it in their start menu, place a shortcut in your personal start menu.

The Default User start menu is used for newly created users; if you want items to appear in the start menu of a new user, place shortcuts in the Default User start menu. I wouldn't remove this branch - it doesn't take up a lot of space, and chances are it will be recreated by Windows if you do remove it.

Apart from that, you can move and copy shortcuts to and from start menu folders as you like - shortcuts are just that: pointers to an application; you don't modify the installation of the application itself by moving shortcuts around.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reorganising the Start Men (Pro)

Thanks Hans, what you wrote is very clear. I'll get reorganising!

Regards,

Chris