Thread: InstallShield?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

InstallShield?

What is InstallShield; & can I safely delete it?

Recently, when running a diagnostic with Symantek's WinDoctor, it detected a problem with an unaccessable .dll file cached in InstallShield's DotNetInstaller. I found the associated knowledgebase article at the Symantek site, which told me I could safely disregard the warning if I didn't have Microsoft's .NET Framework installed on my system...but it prompted me to wonder:

Is InstallShield installed as part of the OS? Is it proprietary to Microsoft, or necessary for Windows or Internet Explorer updates? Or is it installed at the start of any random software download (i.e., do I need it to remain on my system)?

Thanks in advance,

mark4man
    ADK Pro Audio Quad Pro, w/ Intel Core i7 2600 CPU | 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM | Seagate 500 GB SATA II (Primary) HD | Seagate 1 TB SATA II (Audio Data) HD | Win 7 Pro 64-Bit | Lynx Aurora8 ~ AES16 | Universal Audio UAD-1 | Cakewalk SONAR PE XI | Steinberg WaveLab 7 | NI Komplete 5 | Band-In-A-Box 2012

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: InstallShield?

InstallShield is a third party application that many vendors use to facilitate installation of their software. So no, it's not distributed as part of the OS; rather, it comes as part and parcel of many software packages that you purchase or download.

Since WinDoctor should be creating backups of all the changes it makes, I would think allowing it to correct the problem would be safe enough. Without knowing the specific verbiage of the message you received, there's no way to be assured though.
    -Mark

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: InstallShield?

WyllyWylly,

Thanks. WinDoctor can't fix it...there's nothing to fix, in that the error is relative to a file rendered unusable due to lack of a specific framework. I just didn't want to delete something important (the InstallShield itself), but your answer regarding the fact that it's a third-party app solved that.

mark4man
    ADK Pro Audio Quad Pro, w/ Intel Core i7 2600 CPU | 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM | Seagate 500 GB SATA II (Primary) HD | Seagate 1 TB SATA II (Audio Data) HD | Win 7 Pro 64-Bit | Lynx Aurora8 ~ AES16 | Universal Audio UAD-1 | Cakewalk SONAR PE XI | Steinberg WaveLab 7 | NI Komplete 5 | Band-In-A-Box 2012