5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Style Numbering isn't working the way I expect (97 sr2)

I received a document to clean up - ugh. Every paragraph is numbered -- MANUALLY! I decided to use styles and have Word number the paragraphs - but it's not working!

I want Heading 1 to be numbered 1.0, 2.0, etc.
    I want Heading 2 to be 1.1, 1.2, .... 2.1, 2.2, etc.
    I want Heading 3 to be 1.1.1, 1.1.2, etc.

I set each Heading style to number like I want, and linked each to the appropriate style.

I set each to restart numbering -- the way I understand this, if Heading 1 is 1.0, and the next time I have Heading 1 (which will be 2.0), then Heading 2 will be 2.1, 2.2, etc.

But, it's not working this way.

Heading 1 shows as 1.0 - great.
    The first Heading 2 shows as 1.1. - great.
    There is nothing but body text and then the next Heading 2 is also showing as 1.1 (I want it to be 1.2). I cannot find any code or anything that would interfere.

I created the next Heading 1 and GRRRR ... it is showing as 1.0!!! I want it to be 2.0.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Style Numbering isn't working the way I expect (97 sr2)

There is a setting somewhere to continue from the previous list, or to start a new list. It sounds as though this setting is very messed up in your document. I'm not a numbering guru. If you don't get a quick answer from someone who is, try searching for past posts on the subject.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I know about the setting... it says restart numbering. I have that checked. hmmmm... any other thoughts? I deleted normal.dot and re-defined and re-applied the styles. No go. The doc is 86 pages long, and I've only messed with the first 10 or so.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Melanie,

Is the information in this post any help?

Gary

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, it helps. I am also getting help from Dreamboat. She's set me on the right path. She told me not to use Format, Style to set up the outline numbering for the style. She told me to set it through Format, Bullets and Numbering and set all styles there. That's backward from what I was doing. I'm going to work on it a bit more using your link ideas and Dreamboat's method. I'll post when I'm done. Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Melanie:
    Once you set up your styles and you want to add numbering, it doesn't matter whether you go to Format/Style/Modify/Format/Numbering or go through Bullets & Numbering. What DOES matter is that once you get to the Bullets & Numbering dialog box, that you set the numbering for each level & attach it to your styles WITHOUT leaving the dialog box until you're finished. You just start with the first level & work your way down the levels before clicking OK.
    Cheers,