New Lounger
    Thanks

Limit to Favorites? (4.0)

We organize favorites into folders within folders within folders and finally the links.

We keep them in a nonalphabetical order.

Recently, we have found that we cannot move the folders the way they used to. (We have mastered keeping the file/folder names under the maximum length.)

We are using Internet Explorer 4.

1. Why won't the folders move any more?
    2. Is there a maximum number of folders?
    3. Is there a maximum number of folders within folders?
    4. Is there a definitive source in one place on favorites?

Thanks, Woody board users.

Thanks

Re: Limit to Favorites? (4.0)

When you say "we", do you mean multiple users (profiles) on the same machine sharing the same favorites? - or is this happening on multiple machines?
    What operating system?
    Approx number of folders/links?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know how many folders you have, but on the older FAT system of Win 95 & Win 98, there is a limit of 512 folders in the root folder. However, I'm not a aware of a limit of subfolders. Are you having this problem with other folders also?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Leif. It is one user on one machine. I used we because I am the scribe and computer expert (?) for my husband who adores cataloguing favorites.

The operating system is Windows 98.

I counted about 86 folders in his Favorites. Within one of those folders, I found 10 subfolders with about 10 links each. Not all the folders are so dense.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Phil, I will pass on the number 512 to my husband and find exactly wasn't moving.

Lounger
    Thanks

I like to be organized too, but with so many favouites, probably a lot are no longer functional.
    Why don't you try someting like AM Deadlink. It will first of all count the total number of favourites, identify duplicates, and deadends. Also, a lot of the re-directs - and there will be a bunch, no longer point to where you originally wanted to go.
    When you're finished, have your hubby re-organize from the favourites folder in Windows. It's much friendlier, and will probably cause some more pruning in the process.(I just got rid of Win95 sites and modem tuning sites, and I've been on WIN98 and Cable for 2 years now.)