5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What folders should I backup? (2002 SP-2)

Under XP Home, I would like to include in my daily backup the relevant files/folders that contain my Microsoft Word settings and customizations.

Alas, I am at a loss as to what I should backup, though from a cursory review of the folders on my hard drive, it seems the following are important:

<UL><LI>Cocuments and SettingsJonathan RickTemplates
    <LI>Cocuments and SettingsJonathan RickApplication DataMicrosoftTemplates
    <LI>Cocuments and SettingsJonathan RickApplication DataMicrosoftWord
    <LI>Cocuments and SettingsJonathan RickApplication DataMicrosoftProof
    <LI>C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedProof
    <LI>C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10Macros[/list]Does anyone know where I can find a list of what folders related to Word I should backup (and, perhaps, a description of what files the above folders store)?

Thanks so much!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Backing Up Office XP Settings

Hi Jon:
    I haven't looked for a list (someone else may have one), but In <post#=5112>post 5112</post#>, I talked about 2 alternative ways to back up Office 2000 settings using the Save My Settings Wizard or the Profile Wizard. The former backs up all your settings to a web site & the latter backs them up on your machine. The comparable links for Office XP are at:
    Office Profile Wizard
    Save My Settings Wizard

You will need to download the Office Resource Kit in order to use the Profile Wizard & you must have installed the Save My Settings Wizard. The above links will provide instructions. Using one of these methods is probably the best way to back up your Office settings.

I should point out that unless you change your Options, AutoCorrect entries, & dictionaries daily, you probably don't need to use these wizards daily. A regular backup program that backs up everything or just new & changed files, should pick up everything.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your help.

F.Y.I., your link to the Save My Settings Wizard says, "The Save My Settings Wizard is the end-user name for the Office Profile Wizard, an administrator tool."

Now, I assume that there isn't a way to automate the Save My Settings Wizard, right?

Is there a way to automate the Office Profile Wizard?

THANKS!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Phil Rabichow on 03-Jan-03 19:15. Edited to add last paragraph)</P>Hi Jon:
    I'm not sure. You might be able to write a script that would automate it, but that's beyond my abilities. I've only used it on a manual basis (& with Office 2000).

I just read <post#=210502>post 210502</post#>. Maybe this utility can automate the Profile Wizard? (I haven't tried it.)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: What folders should I backup? (2002 SP-2)

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 291186 is a start.

Thus, here's my tentative list:

C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10Macros
    C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedProof

Cocuments and SettingsJonathan RickTemplates
    Cocuments and SettingsJonathan RickApplication DataMicrosoftTemplates
    Cocuments and SettingsJonathan RickApplication DataMicrosoftProof
    Cocuments and SettingsJonathan RickApplication DataMicrosoftWord

Thanks

I think my evening backup is more selective than yours - I ignore those first three folders. It has been a few years since I reviewed the list, but my first guess why I ignored those was that I don't save anything new there (they would be restored from a reinstall). I haven't confirmed that, so don't take my word for it. Second guess, it might have had something to do with rolling out this batch file to the whole company and only wanting these backups (which also include the PST files) to consume so many gigabytes of server space...

You might, however, want to add the following folder:

Cocuments and SettingsJonathan RickApplication DataMicrosoftOffice

I don't know what those .pip files store, but I wouldn't want to lose my updated AutoCorrect (.acl) file(s).

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jefferson:
    I'm not sure if all the .pip files perform identical functions, but I think they are similar. They save the toolbar data usage for the personalized menus & the default Word.pip is the same as the result of Tools/Customize.../Options/Reset my data usage. I'm guessing that the other .pip files are for the other Office applications. Most of them will have two .pip files - one in Application Data & the default one in Program Files.
    Cheers,