3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Spell checking protected file (97)

I created a form using protected text form fields (created form fields then used Cont' F11 to protect) then protected the file. While protected, the icon for Spell Check is greyed. Even when I unprotected the file, I was unable to spell check more that the Current Selection. Spell check would ask whether I wanted to continue checking the rest of the document but would not let me.
    Is there any way I can spell check a protected file? If not, how can I do a spell check on my form?
    Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Spell checking protected file (97)

You'll find several posts on this by searching for spell check protected form. e.g. See <post#=140563>post 140563</post#> for a link to an article showing you a macro for this.
    Cheers,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried some of the macros and when I was able to run without Compile errors, it only spellchecked some of the words. This is a mystery because it checked some words outside the protected form and some inside but only a small portion. I tried cutting and pasting the different examples but kept coming up with the same problems.
    The form I created uses several tables of protected text fields where there are both headings and protected text fields to write in.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The link that takes you to the MVP site & to their macro should work correctly. It's only supposed to check the form fields in the document. It's assumed that the boilerplate text has been checked & is correct. It don't know why it would only check some of the words unless you've added some to a custom dictionary or have clicked "ignore all" during the same session of Word. I'd check to see if that is causing problems.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I copied my form into the MVP doc and that seemed to work. However, when I tried to save it as a template (dot) the Spell check bar and macro disappeared.

Could you tell me what I must do (there will be about twenty people using this on their PC's).

Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The macro must be kept in one of the following places:
    1. normal.dot - & it will then be available to all documents
    2. a template that is kept in the Word startup folder (& listed under Tools/Options/File locations) - also available to all documents
    3. a template that is kept in the user or workgroup template folder (listed under Tools/Options/File locations) - only available to documents if you load it as an add-in under Tools/Templates & add-ins
    4. a template kept wherever, but it will only be available to documents where the template is attached to the document

I suspect the toolbar & macro disappeared because you saved the document containing it as a template (in the template folder) & then opened up another document based on normal.dot or another template. One solution would be to move your MPV folder to the startup folder.

Hope this helps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I'll try your suggestions.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is driving me crazy!
    I put the macro in the Startup folder (couldn't figure out how to change Normal.dot) and have the spellchecker but to invoke in the protected document, the user must type in the password. this defeats the whole purpose of protecting the doc and using the macro to spell check.

Is there anything I can do to run spellcheck in a protected file without divulging the password to the users?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Part way down the page at the link I gave you http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MacrosVBA/Sp...kProtectDoc.htm , you will see the following information:

If your form is password protected, and you don't want the user to be asked for the password to reprotect it, you have to put the password in your code:

oDoc.Unprotect Password:="Password"

And:

oDoc.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset:=True, _
    Password:="Password"

If you want to ensure that users can't possibly see the password, you can also password protect your code (in the VBE, select Tools + Properties, and then select the protection tab).

It may be worth giving all centrally created protected forms the same password, for ease of maintenance.

This should do it for you.
    Cheers,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I saw this but it deals with reprotecting the document. My problem is that when the spell checker is invokced it asks for a password to proceed, not reprotect. Will this work to eliminate the need to input a password?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried using (oDoc.Unprotect Password:="Password") and received an error "Variable not defined". I put it at the top of the macro.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sounds like you need to

Dim oDoc as Document
    and then set oDoc to point to the correct document somewhere in your code

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you!