New Lounger
    Thanks

Auto Reply Work Around (Outlook 2000 SR-1 (CW))

Is there any kind of work-around that allows some version of an Auto Reply/OOO Assistant/Etc to work for "outside" addresses even though the IS department has disabled this? (We're on an Exchange server, but I don't know a whole lot more than that about it). I've been trying all sorts of variations with no luck; would be happy to auto-forward to an external email address, but can't seem to make this work either. Any suggestions?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Auto Reply Work Around (Outlook 2000 SR-1 (CW))

Has your IS also disabled forwarding? Have you tried a rule like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your quick response - I'm guessing that's also been disabled, as I did set up a rule like that and it only worked on internal messages received, nothing external.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Confirm the policies with IS just to be certain.

Maybe someone else has an idea. You may also be able to use client side VBA code but it would require leaving your machine on all the time. It could automagically send a new message with the rec'd message as an attachment.

I know that when the original spate of OL-engine e-mail viruses hit my company both OoO and outside forwarding were disabled for a time. You can always present a case to the finance guys about how this is costing you time and money. (Of course my IS folks howled about how e-mail virus prevention was costing them -much more- time and money.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, John. I will doublecheck with IS, just for the exercise of my own mental health! Know what you mean about the perceptions from IS and/or Finance re: productivity. Apparently our office of 20 folks generates more email volume than the rest of the city employees (1000+), but since we're such a relatively few number of people, our issues don't merit a whole lot of votes...

Thanks again, for the input. I'll continue to plug away, but will welcome any and all other ideas.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Many companies disable outside forwarding as a security measure. When they do, the only way to get around it is by using custom contacts in the GAL. If you have a valid reason for needing to forward, the admin can set this up for you.

if you are forwarding to your personal address so you can read it at home, find out how to access your mailbox from outside - most sites have OWA setup, others may prefer you use VPN with Outlook, and the lucky ones have IMAP ports opened (it provides fast access).