2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ram and/or Cache

I'm running an IBM with 3-memory cards of 256/256/64. The problem is that after I do some
    serious file management (move/copy/delete) it slows down something fierce. Maybe 45-75
    seconds before I can start another operation.
    Anybody know what gives ?
    I could take out the 64-meg card, but is that really the best/most efficient thing to do ?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ram and/or Cache

First question: Which OS are you running? Have you looked in the appropriate places of your OS to make sure it "recognizes" all the memory? If you have, and it does, and you're NOT getting error messages of some kind, I wouldn't think you have a RAM problem. Rather, there's probably something else relative to your OS that's causing the slowdown. Can you give us a tad more to go on?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the interest Big Al:
    I'm running W'98.
    During startup it check all RAM & recognizes 256/256 & 64.
    I don't get any error messages, and,
    The Control Panel > System Properties dialog box shows its there (576)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Define "serious file management". Are we talking thousands of files, hundreds of files, or just a few? There is a known issue with some Windows 98 based systems accessing amounts of RAM in excess of 512MB, as noted in this thread.
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

After reading Mark's response, Nuc, I wonder if maybe you ought do take out the 64 stick and see if the problem goes away. His reminder brought back that I have heard about this somewhere before. See, I was thinking it was somewhat normal Windows housekeeping to churn a little after you fiddle with lots of files. (updating FATs and directories, etc.)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I see your a 30-year IBM retiree - congrats. I sent this to one of the other posts but since you were
    affilliated w/IBM I thought I'd send it to you also.
    Your right, serious to one may be nothing to others. When the problem (no error messages just a
    very noticible slow-down) occurs I've been moving or deleting hundreds of files.
    I questioned IBM about what type of RAM to upgrade with and bought the recommended RAM from
    them (I didn't get any bread-sticks though).
    The "POST" clicks off each 256 and the 64, so I can assume its being seen by the system (IBM 450).
    As usual, your responses are greatly appreciated.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Give the following a try.
    "... If you have over 64 MB of RAM and use Windows 98 (This applies to this version ONLY according to a well hidden Micro$oft Knowledgebase article Q223294). Anyway back to the lesson, as you have probably already read I suggest setting your own virtual memory (VM), well if you do or do not, Win98SE uses up to 64MB or RAM, then the virtual memory, then the remaining memory. Yes, First the fast RAM is used, then slow VM, then back to the fast RAM. The article tries to scare you with

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Did I just read that you made Woody's list of experts ? If so, way cool for you. If not, there's another Big Al lurking out there.
    Any how, I took out the RAM and still had the problem. Next I'll try taking out one of the 256-meg, leaving 256 & 64. Although
    I doubt if that is the real cause of the slow-down. In my mind its not: Me thinks its a conspiracy (he-he).
    On another note, I keep getting MSGSRV32 not responding error messages. I fiddled around and got it (the IBM that is) to
    hang-without-the-need-to-reboot. Now at least I can CTRL-ALT-DEL and stop the MSGSRV32, and continue on. I haven't
    duplicated the reason I get the MSGSRV32 message yet, but it happens more often after I turn the IBM on and then the phone
    rings, than after the IBM has been on and I stopped the MSGSRV32 program and then the phone rings. So, I deleted the
    modem (Control Panel, System Hardware, remove modem) and then let W'98 find it an re-instal the modem. That hasn't
    resolved the MSGSRV32 error either. Maybe it's time for two-sticks of dynamite and a blasting cap !?!?!.