Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Running Sum Error In Query? (A2k (9.0.3821) SR-1)

Trying to do query with running sum on length field in query, getting #Error

TotalLength: DSum("Length","zTableFields","TableName<=" & <table> & "")

See attached db zqry_Table_List

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, John
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Running Sum Error In Query? (A2k (9.0.3821) SR-1)

You forgot to put single quotes around the concatenated table name. Try this:

<pre>TotalLength: DSum("Length","zTableFields","TableName<='" & <!t>[Table] & "'")</pre>

Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Looking at db you attd, shouldn't the DSum Where criteria be the same as query's?? I think it should read like this:

<pre>TotalLength: DSum("Length","zTableFields","TableName<='" & <!t>[Table]<!/t> & "'
    AND (TypeObject='T') AND (LocalRemote='R')")</pre>

Also Length is defined as Text field, the DSum still worked, but shouldn't Length be a number?

HTH

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte & Mark

Your were both right

While trying to figure this out on my own I came up with zqry_Table_List_TR_SQL that uses sql rather than dsum

Howwever I get different results starting on the 11th record of each query

Query zqry_Table_List_TR_SQL, 11th record tbl_BP_OtherLookup, running sum 1896s 225

verse

Query zqry_Table_List_TR_D, 11th record tbl_BP_OtherLookup, running sums 1896 224

See attached, why are results different?

John

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

The query with the DCount is the one producing bogus results. To get correct results you need to modify the TotalFields calculated field, replace "Length" as first item in DCount with an asterisk (similar to the SQL version which uses Select Count(*):

<pre>TotalFields: DCount("*","zTableFields","TableName<='" & <!t>[Table]<!/t> & "'
    AND (TypeObject='T') AND (LocalRemote='R')")</pre>

This produced same results as the SQL query (I exported results of both queries to an Excel spreadsheet to verify which was producing correct results). Also, SQL version is a lot quicker than the DSum/DCount query so I'd recommend using that one.

HTH

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark

Great stuff?

Thanks for your help

John

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

BTW that's a good trick for getting a running sum in a query, instead of having to create a report with running sum textboxes, etc. I may have seen it before but had forgotten how it works....

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark

I am now trying to generate a consecutive number for each query output row with following expression, however its giving me the count of fields + 1 for each row

RowNum: (Select Count(*) FROM [zTableFields] as Temp WHERE (((Temp.[TypeObject] = "T") and (Temp.[LocalRemote] = "R")) and (Temp.<tableName> < [zTableFields].<tableName>)))+1

See zqry_Table_List_TR_SQL

What am I doing wrong?

John

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I looked at this & tried various permutations but none of them produced desired results. I think someone asked similar question a while back but cannot locate that post at this time....

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by MarkD on 06-Jan-03 11:41. Additional comment.)</P>The problem is you are counting all the records in table where TableName is <= TableName in query, but the query is a totals (group by) query so TableName is listed only once (44 records). Table has 1585 records that meet the query criteria.

Here is one way to do this, though not very efficient. Create another group by query with same WHERE criteria. SQL looks like this:

SELECT zTableFields.TableName
    FROM zTableFields
    WHERE (((zTableFields.TypeObject)="T") AND ((zTableFields.LocalRemote)="R"))
    GROUP BY zTableFields.TableName;

In original query, use DCount referencing 2nd query. Example:

<pre>RCount: DCount("*","Zqry1","<!t>[TableName]<!/t><='" & [TBLNAME] & "'")</pre>

"Zqry1" is name of 2nd query. "TBLNAME" is alias for TableName in original query. Note: To be able to use alias I had to modify zTableFields table to get rid of all those captions for the fields. If you assign a caption to a field in Table Design, you cannot use an alias for that field in a query (which I do not find very useful). I'd recommend getting rid of the table captions & use aliases in queries using "AS" keyword as necessary.

Note that the DCount used here really slowed down the query. Maybe someone knows a better (more efficient) way to do this. I tried using SQL statement in place of DCount but could not get syntax that produced desired results.

PS: Hint: Using GROUP BY with single field can be faster than SELECT DISTINCT when you need to repeatedly return a list of unique records from a table.

HTH

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark

You solved my problem.

This is just a sys admin query so I can quickly see any new fields or field size table changes I have been making in devl db vrs customers prod db so I can make adj to cust prod db

Maybe someone else can get it done in one query.

Thanks for your persistence

John