Thanks

Re: Styles & Numbering - best practices (Word: 97SP2, 2000 & XP)

I think the advice on point 1 was, if you are going to use outline numbering, assign it as part of the heading 1 style rather than applying a list gallery as direct formatting. But I try to avoid autonumbering when possible, so I might have that twisted around.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Another excellent resource, which you don't mention but have probably seen, is the Microsystems website. This page has many links, one of which is the Updated! 7 Laws of Outline Numbering.

I personally stay away from Heading styles -- a wrong setting along the way causes issues such as what you note in #2. As to basing on Body text, I prefer basing styles on normal. It's less likely that a user will alter normal beyond the font applied. There's also an overall lesser chance of corruption. You don't mention what your operating system is, but assuming it's Win2K or WinXP many "dangerous" features can be disabled (either resetting at each session so that it becomes inconvenient for the user to activate, or completely forbidding access) utilizing Administrative Templates and Group Policies. You can find more information on Office's Admin templates on TechNet. They should be included with the Office Resource Kit which is separately installed from the OfficeXP Professional CD.

HTH -- Good luck!
    Karen

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Styles & Numbering - best practices (Word: 97SP2, 2000 & XP)

Background:
    We've been re-thinking some of our practices with respect to templates, use of Headings 1-9, etc. and have found a wealth of information online

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by P McGinty on 05-Jan-03 20:33. )</P>JScher

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TechNet is the MS KB and more. It is geared toward the IT professional. In addition to searching the Knowledge Base, it provides a portal to articles, tips and tricks and other useful information. Our company subscribes to TechNet and receives monthly CD's which provides the same information in an offline environment so the searches are faster and more flexible.
    Karen

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Karen. A very good site. Just signed up and have already found some good info there.