2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Monitor setup problem

I have a monitor that has gone out. I have an old IBM PS-2 color monitor that I want to use for awhile with the computer, but about halfway through the boot up process the screen goes into a bunch of wavy horizontal lines on the display and I can't read the screen anymore. I am using Windows 98 on this computer. I think it is a problem with the refresh rate, but I can't find how to modify it and also about how much. I know in NT4 there is a way to do it, but I'm at a loss on how to get this old monitor to work correctly. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks, John

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Monitor setup problem

Are you able to boot into safe mode and get a working display? Setting the refresh rate is software-controlled so if you can see the screen after it switches into SVGA, it's going to be difficult (but not impossible). Try removing the video driver while in safe mode and reinstalling it upon reboot.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Monitor setup problem

Thank you for the information. I will try your suggestion tomorrow. I have corrected the problem before in NT but was thrown off when I didn't see a refresh adjustment available in Windows 98. Hope you had a nice weekend and thank you for caring enough to reply...John