New Lounger
    Thanks

Norton AntiVirus censors my VBA code (VBA Word 2002/2000)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by gwhitfield on 05-Jan-03 15:45. Formatting (word wraps) cleaned up)</P>For the last two years I have been developing a program in VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) in Microsoft Word, which I eventually hope to get published.

Norton AntiVirus has an entity they call the "Bloodhound Macro virus". They use some undocumented algorithm to determine that a VBA program has a "virus", and blocks the transfer of my Word template to a computer with NAV installed.

The usual ways of circumventing this are totally unacceptable. Not only does it interfere with my distribution of the template to other people, but even if one excludes the file from NAV scanning, Word creates .TMP files which are temporary copies of a document with the template attached, and flashes menacing messages all of a sudden that it has detected a virus. ("Disabling Office Plug-ins" doesn't solve the problem either).

I have attempted unsuccessfully to get this resolved with Norton over a protracted period.

I haven't managed to track down just which code NAV objects to.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Norton AntiVirus censors my VBA code (VBA Word 2002/2000)

I've had a similar program when I had code which copied code into the user's normal.dot. The macro detection figured out that copying code was bad, and barred distribution.

I got around this by distributing via a separate Word Template in the Word startup path.

When we emailed the program to the anti-virus company (I can't remember which company it was), the attachment was refused- because the company was using a rival's product to screen their own email!
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

NAV's Bloodhound uses heuristics to look at certain signatures that might indicate a virus is present.
    I've got 7 templates that NAV picks on, but I finally moved them off of my main system to avadoid the Bloodhound warnings.

I have found other cases of such warnings, but they sometimes go away after the VDefininitions are updated a few times.

If the intended recipient of your template cannot set their Auntie Virus software to allow transfer of the file, you'll need to transfer by snail mail using, say, a floppy.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Please explain to me how putting the template in the Word Startup folder defeats the Virus scan. Doesn't make sense to me.

Also, the DISTRIBUTION of my template is only the beginning of the problem. The virus warning can kick in anytime while the template is being USED.
    It doesn't happen under normal conditions, but if there is any abnormal termination of Word, which happens a lot, it can trigger the virus warning.