New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook in Multiple Profiles (Outlook 2002)

I have just upgraded to Outlook 2002, but I am unable to get the 2002 to work like '98 in multiple profiles.
    My profile works well, but when my wife logs on, she is unable to use Outlook, she only uses the contact list.
    The message I receive is "Microsoft Outlook has not been installed for the current user. Please run setup to install
    the application". But running setup within her profile does not help.

Please help me

Thanks

Re: Outlook in Multiple Profiles (Outlook 2002)

Which version of Windows are you using?

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for responding,
    i am using win '98 SE

Thanks

It may be that you have already tried the kinds of things I can suggest. But I use Win 989, and we have used Outlook 2000 in multiple profiles. What I did was change the name of the Outlook pst file to something else, perhaps Outlook.pst.old, then in User A's profile, start up Outlook. Of course, It can't find the pst file, and brings up a message to say so, allowing you to specify a location for it to create one. So I specified someting like c:user A data, or whatever. That seems to give user A a pst file of their own. Rename that temporarily, go into user B's profile and do the same thing to specify a location for a pst file for user B, perhaps c:user B data.

With Outlook 2002, my wife now has her own PC using Win XP and Outlook 2002. I wanted to change the place where her pst file had been set up, for ease of doing backups. So I moved it to the place I wanted, and then started Outlook. Of course it couldn't find the file where it used to and put up a dialog box, which allowed me to point it to the new location. Seems to work! So there is some hope that the same approaches may work for you with the Win 98 and Outlook 2002 combination.

Annoyingly none of the books about Outlook tell you how to set it up for use in different user profiles, and it was a case of trying it out for myself.

Hope this is some help. Or does anyone else out there have some ideas?

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks

that was good thinkin'

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ian,
    Thanks alot, I don't know why, but we now have access to the pst files.
    Wonder why this process works Mmmmmmmm!

Again Thanks
    Carl

Thanks

Glad to be able to help. I think it works because when you you use different user profiles Windows 98 is designed to store registry data like the location of your Outlook pst file (and other things like the location of your Word templates, the colour of your desktop, and so on) separately for each user. Without doing that you couldn't have a separate look and feel for each person. The annoying thing is the lack of explanation in the books and the Help files about how things like Outlook work with profiles.

Ian

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, well. MS works in mysterious ways... At a high level what's going on is that a pst file designated as a delivery point is "keyed" to a profile. In a similar way, an ost file used for off-line, remote work is "keyed" to an Exchange account. This is partly for security I suppose. A secondary pst (one not used as a mail delivery point) can be opened by multiple users.