2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't access files (Service pack 1)

I pulled several folders into another. When I try to access them now it tells me I don't have authority. When I try to delete them, it will not allow me. I have gone to properties to take it off read only. However, it still doesn't allow me to do anything.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Can't access files (Service pack 1)

What folders did you drag to what folders?
    This may give us a clue.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I partitioned my drive to C and D. On D drive I put all my pictures and other files that are not relevant to Windows. I decided to consolodate some of the files. For example I created a subdirectory called "Pictures" and dragged another subdirectory called "My Pictures" and another called "Vacation Pictures" into it. Now, when I try to view these subdirectories I get the error message: "Is not accessible. Access Denied." When I try to delete the subdirectory I am told the same thing with the added, "Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use." I was going to reformat D, but don't know how using Windows XP Home. I right clicked on each subdirectory and found it was "read only." I unchecked that, clicked "apply" but still get the same messages.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

From your explanation it is not clear did you move special folders (My Documents, My Pictures) from their default locations (Cocuments and Settings <your username> My DocumentsMy Pictures) to drive D: or not (you just created shortcuts on drive D: to your special folders). To move special folders properly, it is better to use TweakUI PowerToy for Windows XP.
    Download TweakUI from link above, install it, run and under My Computer | Special folders choose a folder from drop-down list and press Change Location button.
    After that you can easily manage files inside special folders.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, Drive D was where I created a subdirectory called "Pictures." I already had pictures in several different categories (none of these were in Documents or any of its subdir. on C). I decided to take five different categories (subdir.) on D and put them under the newly crreated subdir. "Pictures." I dragged them to that subdir. and dropped each one. No problem until I went to each subdir. and tried to access it. No go. I am denied access. I decided to backup D and did. Then decided to format it and then restore D from the CD's. Before I did that, I wanted to see if there was something I could do to gain access to these subdirectories. So far, everything I have tried has failed. I'm not sure what caused it. If I did, I wouldn't do it again.<g>