2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

QuickTime Plugin Problem? (IE6, Win XP Pro SP1)

I
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: QuickTime Plugin Problem? (IE6, Win XP Pro SP1)

Just to see if it's the firewall, have you removed Outpost completely and then tried viewing online trailers with QT? My experience has been that even though a firewall is turned off, it doesn't mean that it's not interfering with TCP/IP connections.
    -Mark

Thanks

What are your security settings for the Internet Zone? Standard security protocol prohibits scripting unsafe ActiveX controls. In other words, you should see something like this:

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Prompt
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disable

In the version of QuickTime I am using, the "safe for scripting" flag is not set. Big mistake by Apple. To resolve this for sites that I trust (i.e., in the Trusted Zone), I have set these parameters a bit more permissively:

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Enable
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Prompt [see attached]

Now, although I mention this, my browser doesn't freeze up on QuickTime presentations on untrusted sites, I just get an error message or blank window. Not sure this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry it's taken me a few days to get back with results but, for a while, it seemed is if my browser problems had got a whole lot worse. I could access the web but, after between two and five minutes of surfing, my cursor stopped reacting when rolling over links and hotspots and, shortly after that, WinXP would pop up a message to say that "We're sorry but MS Internet Explorer has developed a problem and needs to close down
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

QuickTime Plugin Problem Sorted!

I think I've cracked it!! In the Downloaded Program Files folder, there were 8 plug-ins. I removed all but the Google Toolbar, (basically because it wouldn't let me remove it with a browser window active), rebooted and, voila, the QuickTime Trailers page works as it should. It now remains for me to reload the plug-ins one at a time to see if the problem recurrs.

For the record, the plug-ins were Google Activate, (the toolbar already mentioned), IntraLaunch.MainControl, (this is somethnig from Particle software that, by the CodeBase string, looks like it came of a magazine coverdisk but I'm not sure what it does), MSN Chat Control 4.5, (which, as I use Trillian, I think I can do without anyway), ChatSpace Full Java Client 3.1.0.229, (Ditto), Shockwave ActiveX Control, Update Class, (Something to do with the Windows XP Auto Update routine), Pre Qualifier Class, (related to a diagnostic tool provided by my broadband ISP) and Shockwave Flash Object.

I've already reinstalled the two Shockwave plug-ins and it's still working fine. I think I'll leave the others out and see what complains, if anything. Of course, the plug-ins themselves may be perfectly well behaved if they're reintroduced - it may be that one just got corrupted. If the problem arises again, I'll delete them one at a time and see which one fixes things by its absence.

Once again, many thanks for your help, Mark and Jefferson.
    Regards,

Steve