3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't find DLL (97)

I have installed Access 97 and Access 2000 on a new laptop running Windows XP Pro. When I try to open an Access 97 database that contains code modules or create a new code module in a new 97 database, I get the message:
    Microsoft Access can't open the file 'MFCANS32.DLL'.
    This file exists on my system (in C:I386) so, thinking I could solve this problem using the same technique I have used to solve problems with file import and export DLLs on machines running both versions of Access, I tried:
    regsvr32 C:I386MFCANS32.DLL from the run prompt.
    This produced the following message:
    C:I386MFCANS32.DLL was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. This file cannot be registered.
    The problem persisted after this.
    I installed Access 97 from an Office Pro disk, then applied the service packs up to SR-2. I then installed Office 2000 Premium, electing to keep the previous installation of Access and puting everything in a different directory tree. I then applied service packs to Office 2000. As far as I can tell Access 2000 is running fine.
    Can anybody help?

Ian

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't find DLL (97)

Try copying the file to the C:WindowsSystem32 directory by hand. (If your windows dir is called WinNT then replace the windows with WinNT in the path I gave you). I guess your I386 directory is a copy of the installation CD. As the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found then this dll doesn't require registering.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It worked! Brilliant!
    Is there a simple explanation of what was going on or should I just accept that there are too many things in this world for one person (especially an Access programmer) to hope to know even half of them?

By the way, this has to be the best Access resource I've used. Thanks for everybody's help. Can anybody recommend a similar site for ActionScript problems? The one on the Macromedia site is well sluggish in comparisson.

Ian

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Your I386 directory is just a copy of the installation CD (I suspect). It's not in the PATH so as far as the system was concerned the dll was not installed. Why it wasn't installed is another question.