Lounger
    Thanks

Linked Tasks - Duration (98 SR-1)

Hi

I've created a linked task in my Gantt chart to produce a weekly report (in this case every Friday for half an hour for a year or so). The total duration for the task however is over 2000 hours - I guess that it is taking into account the time between tasks and not just the half an hour each week to do the task. How do I fix?

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Re: Linked Tasks - Duration (98 SR-1)

It sounds as if you have a Parent task and linked a new task for the weekly report to it, possibly with a start to start relationship. The Weekly report task would then be the same duration as the parent task.

The problem you are encountering is that the duration of the task will span that of the parent task, however, the work completed on the task is only 1/2 hour on fridays. I assume you have set up a separate calendar set to work only 1/2 hour on fridays.

If you really want the duration to only show 1/2 hour per week then you can add a task of duration 1/2 hour on Fridays of each week. You could try splitting the task, however, this will not solve the duration problem as the tasks will still need to span the entire length of the master task. I can't think of a better work around on this one since duration is measured as when the task starts to when it ends.

Anyone else have some ideas?
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Lounger
    Thanks

I think you are right for the most part, except that I don't have a special calendar for Fridays (as far as I'm aware).

I'm not very experienced with MS Project (at my last place we used PS7 from Scitor Corp) but surely for most Project Managers weekly status reporting would be a fairly common occurence? I didn't want to add a separate task for each Friday of the year manually hence the recurring task option is perfect with the exception of the fact that it does not allow you to see the total time planned to be spent doing this activity over the year.

As always, any help gratefully received!

Thanks

You could do the following to see total time spent on the creating reports task during the year:

- Create a new calendar as previously discussed that has working days only set to Fridays from say 8am to 8:30
    - Create a new Resource such as Reporting with proper rates and such
    - In the resource sheet, change the base calendar to the one created for only 1/2 hour on Fridays
    - Assign the Resource to the task(s) where reporting is required

When you run a report on this resource, you should only get the total hours worked based on 1/2 hour per week.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Lounger
    Thanks

Gary

Thanks for your help, I'll give it a try!