New Lounger
    Thanks

UNC hyperlinks to hidden shares (XP/SR2)

I'm having a problem with Word XP SR2 in regard to creating hyperlinks to files in hidden network shares
    - i.e. where the share name ends with a $. This is an easy one to reproduce, but I can't find an obvious way to change Word's behaviour.

I see the same problem regardless of whether Autocorrect is configured to
    convert Internet and Network paths to Hyperlinks ( "Autoformat/Autoformat
    as you type | Internet and Network Paths as Hyperlinks" both unchecked).

I am running with the recommended compatibility options for Word 2002

Open a new document and type in the UNC path of a file on a hidden network share - e.g. serverhiddenshare1$file.txt.
    When you press return, Autocorrect will convert the text into a hyperlink, with the following attributes:

Text to display: serverhiddenshare1$file.txt
    Address: serverhiddenshare1$file.txt

Hover over the hyperlink and the tooltip shown will be:
    file:///serverhiddenshare1$file.txt

Save the Word Document in the same hidden share (or a subfolder of it) "serverhiddenshare1$test.doc" for example.
    Hover over the hyperlink, and you will see no changes have been made.

However,

Open a new document and type in the UNC path of a file on a hidden network share - e.g. serverhiddenshare1$file.txt.
    When you press return, Autocorrect will convert the text into a hyperlink, with the following attributes:

Text to display: serverhiddenshare1$file.txt
    Address: serverhiddenshare1$file.txt

Hover over the hyperlink and the tooltip shown will be:
    file:///serverhiddenshare1$file.txt

Save the Word Document anywhere other than the hidden share listed in the hyperlink - "servershare1test.doc" for example.
    Hover over the hyperlink, and you will see the hyperlink now points to a relative path (../)../hiddenshare1$/file.txt. Which doesn't work!

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this? I only noticed it after completing a document containing numerous links to files within hidden shares.

aargh.

JMB

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: UNC hyperlinks to hidden shares (XP/SR2)

Edited: <!t><!/t> and <!t><!/t> tags added around the URL to make the link live. -Mod.

Aha! http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;326518

Problem is half-solved. When you open the document, select all and update field codes. The links work until the next time you save the document. Not much of a fix, but there it is...

JMB