2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Networking to Printer on XP

I have replaced a Win98 system with a new XP System, attached the HP 722C to the new computer and XP had no trouble recognizing it. Plus XP connected to my very old IBM 4019 Laser Printer

How have the 722c shared, but my Win98 SE does not seem to have the HP 700 series available for set-up. 500, 600 & 800 are show in the list of HP printers.

The 722c was networked and the driver programs transferred to the Win98SE when it was Win98 to Win98SE.

What do I need to do to make the 722C driver programs available again to the Win98SE system?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Networking to Printer on XP

You should need only the Windows 98 drivers for the printer. If I remember correctly, most HP downloads extract to a location you specify, and you can then run the HP setup program, or install the printer through the Add printers dialog and browse to the location of the extracted files when prompted.

HTH,
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,
    I downloaded the HP 722c driver from the HP site you referenced.
    The "Add Printer" goes looking for the actual 722c on "LPT1:" of course it's not there, so I cancelled Setup.
    If I try to add the printer from the Network, it can not find or use the extracted download information.

I must be missing a step! Any additional suggestions??

Ray A.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

While you're waiting for Mark..... Are the drivers you downloaded perhaps in a ZIP or EXE file? If so, you should right-click that download file and extract the actual files from the library. I would hope then when you try to start the install, the Add Printer wizard would let you choose Network and point it to where the driver(s) are.

Thanks

I have a network of my Win 98 desktop machine which has a Brother HL-1450 attached to it, and my wife's Win XP laptop, which has no printer attached to it. She prints to my printer and it works fine. As I recall (and she is away with the laptop for a couple of days so I can't check) we didn't need to install drivers on her machine. Why can't you on your Win 98 machine go to the printers folder, do Add printer. When it asks local or network choose network and just add as a printer on your Win 98 machine the one that is already installed on the other machine? It's the other way round from what I am doing but why should it not work?

Ian

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks!
    I have now worked it out in a round about way.
    Deleted the old network printer and installed the downloaded HP driver to port "LTP1:" No others were available.
    Then changed the Port via Properties > Details to the Network Path for the XP System.

I probably could have done the Port Change on the original Printer; but
    at least I have current HP drivers, because the 722c was originally installed on Win 95.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did not have a problem from XP sharing the Win98 devices.
    XP recoginized my "very" old IBM 4019 on the Win98SE system.