Star Lounger
    Thanks

transfer files computer to computer (xp)

Want to transfer files from comp 1 to computer 2. Copy, drag and drop files to Cd but when I put the CD in my other machine i can only see .pst files. The others are gone though I can see them on the disk in Computer 1.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: transfer files computer to computer (xp)

Have you tried this CD in any other system besides these two? You didn't provide many specifics, and specifics are what help solve problems. What OS is computer 2? Obviously computer 1 is XP, the only version of Windows that supports drag and drop CD burning out of the box. However....

XP creates open CDs that aren't necessarily readable on other platforms or CD drives. I don't recall offhand if it creates open sessions or not (as opposed to an open disc) in which case they would definitely be unreadable. You'd do far better to use a full-fledged burning program such as Nero or Easy CD Creator to make the CDs, closing the disc at the end of the write process.

If you're feeling particularly adventurous (well, not all THAT adventurous) and want to get out a screwdriver, plug the existing hard drive into PC #2 and copy the files from hard drive to hard drive. A little time up front, and you've got a lightning fast transfer and no more coasters.
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

If you want to know more about CD creation, see

CD Formats and File Systems

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Kaplin, that's an excellent link. Thanks for prioviding it!
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

A little more info, mine was skimpy. Both systems use xp pro. What I was doing I would not neccearily recommend. I had 4 old drives sitting around that had come out of machines over the past years. I did take out the screw driver and remove disk drive 2 from a machine. I plugged in one of the old drives and was reviewing what I left on it prior to reformatting. Like looking in an old shoe box of junk, not all that interesting. I was dragging and dropping what I wanted to save to the cdrw drive. When I took the disk to machine #2 I could not see the added files.(My original question) Going back to the source machine I got a notice files ready to be copied to CD. I never completed the burn process. I dropped the files from the old hd to the cdrw but never burned them. I have nero and will use it and did and it burned the files ok. Thanks for the Kodak reference it is great. Help here continues to be invaluable.