Star Lounger
    Thanks

Message Tracking (Outlook 2000)

I am wanting to track the reading of mail messages or whether the message is being deleted without being read. After setting the read receipt request option I then go to the sent message and click on the tracking tab. This tab is not being updated. Is there any way to force an update?

Thanks in advance
    Graham

Thanks

Re: Message Tracking (Outlook 2000)

I would suspect that as delivery and read receipts are a function - and prerogative! - of the recipient, this is information you do not have right to demand.
    If the recipient has set their mail server and/or client not to honour requests, there is little you can do.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Leif
    I am receiving the email notifications of reading or deleting before reading, but these are not being reflected in the tracking tab. All the recipients are on the same Exchange server.

Graham

Thanks

Ah! I misunderstood.
    So receipts are being sent, but the tracking data on your original sent item isn't...

Do you by any chance have any rules set up to copy the sent mail to another folder? If so, chances are you are checking the tracking on the copy, rather than the original.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I have rules in place. The sent mail is moved to a sub folder of the Sent Items folder, so I am looking at the original mail.
    Graham

Thanks

OK - I think 197067 : OL2000: (CW) Tracking the Delivery and Reading of E-mail Messages may hold the answer:
    <hr>The following conditions are required for automatic processing of notification messages:
    You must not manually move the sent message from the Sent Items folder. However, you may move it by invoking the option to save replies with original message.
    You must not move the notification receipt from the default Inbox until it is processed.
    There must be 30 to 60 seconds of idle time on your computer before the automatic processing will activate. Any keyboard or mouse movement will interrupt this idle time.<hr>
    If not, see if there are any clues to be found in:
    192929 : OL2000: Delivery Receipts and Read Receipts
    196495 : OL2000: (CW) Unreliable Read and Delivery Receipts Using Internet E-mail
    247761 : XCLN: Read Notifications Received over an X.400 Connection Do Not Show Up on the Outlook Tracking Tab

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks
    I've been too quick in moving the original message and deleting the notification receipts.

Graham