New Lounger
    Thanks

Network Login (XP Pro)

Am I missing something?

We have a consultant who bought a new laptop with the Windows XP OS and I was surprised to see that the user is no longer prompted to log on to the network. It just automatically finds the network. There is no drive mapping but you can find everything in network places. We have no other XP computers on our network so I don't know what normal is for XP.

The user simply plugs their Ethernet cable to the laptop network card, turns on their computer and clicks on their name icon that they used at home. Instant presto they have access to all the network devices and folders. It appears that they have more access than they had when they were using Win 98.

Is there a way to prompt a login so that they only have the access that I want them to have? If yes, is this setup less desirable? Will it slow down their computer or cause any other problems? How it will it affect them when they are not connected to this network?

I'm just amazed that they can get on the network without authentication.

I'm not a XP fan yet. Even network printers setup took more steps than before but that

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Network Login (XP Pro)

The user is logged in. You can bypass the login screen if configured properly. XP is setup out of the box to look for network files and printers. This is controlled in Windows Explorer Tools | Folder Options | View then uncheck 'Automatically search for network folders and printers. If the user name from home does not exist in the work domain then the user should have 'Guest' privileges to network resources. Probably won't be able to do much. You can force a logon when the system is booted. Go to Control Panel | User Accounts | Advanced and make sure 'Require user to press CTRl+ALT+DELETE' is checked. You can also disable the Guest account on the domain controller. Desirablility is in eye of the beholder. It should not slow their computer or cause any other problems. When not connected to the network they should be fine - XP will probably use cached credentials to logon or they can logon with a home account.

hth,
    Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

I went to User Accounts and unchecked "Use the Welcome screen" and did get the windows login screen when I rebooted. Unfortunatly, now we can't login to the computer. We tried using the user name password combination from the server as well as the local workstation combination and neither one is working. I also created a new account on the server to match the login name and password of the local machine without success. Also, there is no option to select domain. How does it know whether you want to login locally or to the network domain?

At this point we are locked out of the computer as we can't bi-pass the login screen and restore to the old login method.

Any suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks

You should be able to login as the local administrator assuming someone knows the user name and password.
    1.) Did you have the PC join the domain?
    2.) You got the normal CTRL+ALT+DEL login screen right? There should be an 'Options' selection at the bottom right. Push it and you'll be able to select where to login.
    3.) Have you tried unplugging from the network and logging in with local id?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

I forgot to join the domain. Big mistake I'm thinking.

There is no CTRL+ALT+DEL login screen. It just comes up with the windows login screen automatically. We tried unplugging from the network using local id but it isn't working. I'm thinking she wrote her password down wrong. Hopefully she can get her administrator password and get in that way.

Darrell

Administrator
    Thanks

Yeah, if the machine is not joined to the domain then you can't login to the domain. You'll need the local user and password or the local administrator user and password. Hope you're correct and she wrote it down wrong.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Accentuates the importance of following the "create password reset diskette," huh? I strongly believe that creating that diskette and the emergency boot disk are the first TWO things that XP ought to tell folks on first running.....

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;305478
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;306214

New Lounger
    Thanks

I didn't know you could create a password reset diskette. Is that new for XP or was it available in other Microsoft OS's?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Luckily the person found their administrator account information. Interesting how you can lock yourself out with no window to break to get in. Now I can try connecting the computer to a domain.

Administrator
    Thanks

Whew!!! 'NT' based systems are like that. It is supposed to be a security thing. Good luck with the rest.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

That

Administrator
    Thanks

That would not be limited to XP. Part is how your have the server configured - folder/file sharing & guest account. Part of the problem is that with older (SBS 4.5 fits in the older category) MS servers is that out of the box they are configured to be wide open and not locked down. With .NET server it is reversed to some extent (not sure how tightly locked down). Another basic tenet of security is that if you lose physical security you're hosed anyway.
    Joe