3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Customising Footnote Separator Width and Thickness

If I need a footnote separator smaller than the default of 2 inches, (say 1 inch), and I go to Normal View, ViewFootnotes

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Customising Footnote Separator Width and Thickness

In normal view goto View Footnote, select Footnote Seperator and then highlight the entire line, right click, and select paragraph where you can set the indent fron the right. Try a value of 5" (or the equivalent in the units you use).
    That works on Word 97

Andrew C

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry in my last post I did not deal with the thickness of the line. The line actually appears to be text, and it's font properties can be altered. Try setting the font size to 4pt, which together with the paragraph indent might give you what you want. In fact there is no need to bother with the indent, just highlight the seperator, press delete and insert as many Alt-Ctrl - (subtraction sign on the number pad)as you need.

Just as a matter of interest the spacing before and after can be adjusted as in any paragraph, and indeed it may be replaced by ordinary text, you could try ........ or _______ or ------------

Hope that is of help.

Andrew C

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Andrew, for the indent idea. Thanks, moreover for the promptness. It works for reducing the width of the separator. That set me thinking and I got multiple solutions to this problem. My supplementary comments are:

Changing the pt size only reduces the white space above the separator.

The separator does not seem to be text but some kind of object, not an Autoshape because I cannot manipulate it by selecting it.

The indent does not work if I want a longer-than-2 inches separator; for that, I can copy the Footnote Continuation Separator and apply the right indent.

I have thought of an inelegant method of getting a similar separator of any width: apply Format-Font-Strikethrough to the Paragraph, delete the existing separator, Clear All Tabs, and set a Tab at the point where you want the separator to end. Then, Insert a Tab.

However, with this solution, thickness of the separator cannot be adjusted. For that, it may be better to apply underlining instead of strikethrough, and raise the font position by about 3 pts.

But the question: What kind of an object is the default separator, remains unannswered.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again for the em-dash idea. (Ctrl Alt -) Neat.

BAM

Hi Rajesh,

As another suggestion:
    - Insert a 1x1 table
    - Select both the table and the paragraph following and set it to a 1 pt font size
    - Go to Format/Borders and Shading and add a border to the bottom with the thickness you desire
    - Adjust the width the cell to desired length
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just beautiful. The idea is simplicity itself, and can even be controlled through VBA.

BAM

Another idea would be to add it as an AutoText entry.

To recall it I believe you would need to type the AutoText name and press <F3> or better yet, just add the AutoText entry as a command on a toolbar or assign a keyboard shortcut for it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Rajesh,

2 other thoughts that might help with customizing the footnote separator:
    - if you have a separator in the style you want (point size, specific character, etc) but want to position it higher or lower on the base line, you can insert an ADVANCE field before it to move the subsequent "text" (ie, the separator) up or down some number of points (the switches for the ADVANCE field)
    - if you're using tabs, as you thought about, it wasn't clear if you were using the tab leader. I wasn't sure if this is where you were going with this so I thought I'd mention it. To my knowledge, though, you're stuck with a limited set of leader types.

Fred

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many Thanks.

Controlling the height was a problem which I resolved by using Format-Font-Character Spacing. I shall now certainly try out the ADVANCE field option.