New Lounger
    Thanks

Pocket PC and Exchange Server

I bought a pocket pc (Dell Axim) because, among other things, we run all Microsoft at work, and I wanted my handheld to run Outlook. I have no problems synching at work, but I also have a wired modem to connect to the network from home (our administrator will not go wireless). My problem is that we use MS Exchange Server for e-mail, and MS Pocket PC 2002 does not seem to support that mail service. Is there any way to work around this, or am I missing something obvious?
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pocket PC and Exchange Server

Depending on the version of Exchange, your administrators may have enabled IMAP4 access to the exchange server. I use this with an IPAQ pocket PC and my mobile phone successfully.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart is right. The CE devices use IMAP for remote access. Depending on how Exchange is set up you may have no problems, by be able to get but not send, or may not be able to do anything. Do you get any error messages?

New Lounger
    Thanks

It either tells me that it cannot connect to the server or it times out. How would the administrator enable IMAP on the server and does it cost a great deal? I had thought of getting around this through remotely synching with my office machine, but the administrator won't set up RAS for me. Are there any ways of tweaking the server names, or could I try entering their IP addresses?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm a little confused by your last couple of questions...

What type of network connection do you have to your office?
    Can you access web sites in your office over this network connection?
    Why do you want to specify the server address instead of the server name?

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Boy, I had a ton of stuff off the MS knowledgebase and internet at one time, and after determining it did not work well enough to put into production and have to support, I tossed it all. The best I could get was to send to recipients on our Exchange site, but not the internet. I could not authenticate in order to recieve mail. MS and Compaq blamed each other, but it came down to a faulty implementation of IMAP on PocketPC OS (at least when run against Exchange 5.5). We went with a product called XTNDConnect from Extended Systems instead.

If you want to follow up on this the best I can do for you is to suggest you go to http://support.microsoft.com and select the knowledge base search. Choose WinCE as the product and type IMAP4 as the search term. You could also go to google.com and search for the phrase ipaq imap.

There's no way to tell from your end if IMAP service is running on the server. If it was installed but not turned on then it's not a big deal on the server side. If it was not installed, then it requires a re-installation of Exchange and that is a big deal.

You can specify either your host server's domain name or its IP address. That doesn't matter. But from your comment elsewhere about RAS I have to wonder if you're even getting on the network. The error message could be caused by this. How do you connect and authenticate?

New Lounger
    Thanks

We have a LAN at work. We have internet access (T-1, I think) and e-mail via the exchange server and outlook as the e-mail client. From home, I dial into a dial-up switch. I can have full access to the network with WINS resolution, however I should not need this to access e-mail. To authenticate, I enter username, password, and domain name both at dial-up and to log into the network. One of the quirks with the Axim was that it kept telling me that my username and/or password were incorrect until I took the domain name out and just left that part of the dialog box blank. This was during dial-up. Now I can get internet access on the pocket pc but no e-mail setup works. I tried messing around with server names today, and it told me that the server names were incorrect. When we set up mail at work or home, we simply enter the name of the mail server (IMAP and POP3 ask for two names, incoming and outgoing) and enter a mailbox name, which outlook then verifies. In any case, I may well not be getting full access to the network, but I am getting internet access. I'm using a wired modem--our administrator will not allow wireless access to the network. I'll ask her if IMAP was installed when they installed exchange but just not turned on. Thanks for all the feedback from everyone--I appreciate it.