2 Star Lounger
    Lanyon, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Missing Dictionary

I have an old IBM thinkpad with Word 95 which I use when traveling. I am having problems with Word 97. On boot up, I get the message "Error -2147467259: 'PrivateProfileString' of object 'system' failed. I have also noticed that my dictionary is not available (although grammar check is). Are the issues related? I tried a different word processor (abiword) but it also said the dictionary was missing. As the fault is common to both Word and Abiword, I'm guessing I need to reinstall the dictionary somewhere else. Can anyone advise on how to do this and where I can get the dictionary from? BTW - my win 95 discs have died, but I can't update to 98SE as the laptop does not have a cd drive. I don't know if it would have the room anyway (half gig only).
    Thanks for any suggestions!
    Willow

Thanks

Re: Missing Dictionary

> On boot up, I get the message "Error -2147467259: 'PrivateProfileString' of object 'system' failed.
    > I have also noticed that my dictionary is not available (although grammar check is). Are the issues related?

When you say on boot up, do you mean when Word starts? The error message would make sense if you have a macro or add-in that is trying to look up something in the Registry (or an INI file) when Word starts. To diagnose this, close Word, then start it up this way:

Start button > Run... > winword.exe /a

If Word does not complain, then it is an issue in one of your templates. Phil has a useful post on tracking these things down: Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (Word 97/2000).

I have no idea if there is any relationship between the above and whether your dictionary is found. I guess I should ask preliminarily whether you run an up-to-date virus scanner on your computer. If not, you might want to visit http://housecall.antivirus.com/ for a checkup.

If you can rule out malware, please try to search the Word board for discussions about missing dictionaries or grayed out (disabled) spell checking options. I can't remember the various solutions myself.

2 Star Lounger
    Lanyon, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Missing Dictionary

Thanks for the suggestions! If all else fails, I did come across the