New Lounger
    Thanks

Opening Word 2002 documents in Word 97 (Word 97/Word 2002)

What are the problems when opening Word documents created in Word 2002 in Word 97? Can a Word 2002 document be opened in Word 97? If so, what is lost with regards to formatting, etc.? Specifics would be useful. Does anyone know where I can find this information? Thank you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Opening Word 2002 documents in Word 97 (Word 97/Word 2002)

The basic file format of Word documents hasn't changed between Word 97, Word 2000 and Word XP (2002), so Word 97 users can open documents created in Word 2000 or XP.
    Features that are lost mostly have to do with tables - Word 97 doesn't have nested tables, for instance, or AutoFit.
    Also, Word 97 has a limited set of colors for borders and shading; if you use other colors in a Word XP document, Word 97 will do its best to find a matching color, but the result may not be what you intend.

Thanks

Where you can find this information - Word 2000 which I use has a section in the Help about file formats, and in particular it lists the formatting features that will be lost if a file is saved in Word 97 format. Perhaps Word 2002 Help has similar information?

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, somewhere in the help there is a list of differences, and what happens to unsupported W2002 features when you save in an older format. I don't have W2002 handy to check what the topic is called, but you should be able to find it with a bit of searching.

Regards, Jean
    Jean Hollis Weber
    -----------------
    Taming Microsoft Word 2002, http://www.jeanweber.com/books/tameword.htm

Thanks

I've been able to check Word 2002 now my wife has brought her laptop home. You can find this information in Word 2002 Help at 'Sharing Information with other Users and Programs' -> 'Preserve Document Appearance' -> Results of Saving Word 2002 documents in other file formats. Then you can get the full details of features the older versions don't supprt by clicking on the links for 'Save in Word 6.0/95 format' or 'Turn off features not supported by Word 97'. If you use the dreaded office assistant you can probably get straight to this by searching for something like 'save in other file formats'.

Hope that helps.

Ian