New Lounger

Multi-doc TOC missing hyperlinks (Word 2000)

I've done a search for this but all I found were posts to remove TOC hyperlinks.

I've used RD to create a TOC for a multi-doc guide. The TOC entries for headings in the TOC file have proper hyperlinks. But the entries for the separate files have no hyperlinks. I've tried adding the /h to the TOC field, but this has no effect. I can't say for sure, but I don't recall having this problem with RD created TOCs using Word 97.

Is this a syntax/setup problem, or are the links not available because of the multiple files?

Super Moderator
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Multi-doc TOC missing hyperlinks (Word 2000)

I don't believe that this is a setup or syntax problem. I think that is just the way it is. It is unfortunate as this would be a sensible thing to expect but I don't think Word 2000 can do this natively.

Your work around options are limited as every time you refresh the TOC you will need to re-do whatever post processing puts the hyperlinks in for you.

Such post-processing is doable though most likely the easiest way would be to build the TOCs in each linked document and then cut the TOC into the top level file, unlink the field, and run a macro to add the filename and path to the now existing hyperlinks in that TOC. Perhaps adding the path would be easier to code before you cut it from the origin file as Word already knows what the filepath is.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia