Lounger
    Thanks

print all output to file

I remember in windows 3.1 that I can set the print to file for all programs. In other words, No matter what windows program I am using, when print, the print out will be sent to a file not the printer. How can I do that in windows 2000 or xp
    thank you for any help!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: print all output to file

Although I'm on an XP box at the moment, the process should be nearly identical.
    1. <LI>Go to the Start - Settings - Printers folder and click on Add printer.
      <LI>When the wizard appears, choose Local Printer and de-select "Automatically detect and install my plug and pray printer."
      <LI>Click on the Next button.
      <LI>In the following page of the wizard, there should be a Select printer port drop-down box. From the list, choose FILEPrint to File).
      <LI>Click Next.
      <LI>In the list of brands, choose Generic for the manufacturer.
      <LI>On the right hand side of the window should be Generic/Text Only - selected by default.
      <LI>On the next page (after clicking Next), you can select a name for the "printer" and set it as default, if you wish.
      <LI>On the next page, you can set up sharing. Seems silly but to Windows, this is no different than any other printer.
      <LI>Finally, you will have the option to print a test page, after the files are copied. Windows will pop up a very simple dialog box asking where the output goes.
    That should get it for you....if the steps are different, let me know, so I can correct this post!
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: print all output to file

Hi WyllyWylly
    Thank you for your help. It works wonderfully.
    thanks
    Joe