Lounger
    Thanks

Word2000 Default PageWidth

How can I force Word 2000 to open in a page width view? It will open in layout view with 100% zoom. I've tried saving Normal.dot while the view was configured, created AutoExec and AutoNew macros that bombed. I am using a keystroke associated macro now. Is there a better way? Judith

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word2000 Default PageWidth

Hi Judith:

Word opens a new document in the same view as the last document closed & with the last zoom level set. If you want to always have every document open in a specified view & zoom level, I think you'd be better off with an AutoClose macro.

The rules are:
    o If you are opening an existing document that you previously viewed in Page Layout view, Word uses the zoom setting you were using when last viewing the document. This is because zoom settings are saved with the document.

o If you are opening an existing document that you have never viewed in Page Layout view before, Word uses the zoom setting you were last using-period. This is because there was no last zoom setting for the document, so the last system setting was used.

o If you are opening a new document, then Word uses the zoom setting last used for whatever document you were using.

The same applies for normal view.

Hope this helps.

BAM

Hi Judith,

If you want to change this for new documents based on Normal.dot, then just change it in Normal.dot.

However, in order for Normal.dot to actually be saved it must appear as "dirty" - a change that forces an Undo action. Changing the Zoom setting or View only will not do this.

Open Normal.dot, make your changes. Then add a space, backspace it, and Save.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Lounger
    Thanks

"BAM", I kept changing the Normal.dot to no avail until I made it "dirty" per your instructions. It worked. THANK YOU!!!!! Judith