3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office Profile from Resource kit (Office 2k / xp)

I'm actually chasing a problem which I have not yet posted, but my research leads me to a general question.

I have applied an Office profile to my new PC that has lost some of its original CD-rom and DVD drive setup. Looking at the registry I see entires for the CD-roms that were on my old PC. These drives have clearly never been near the new PC.

Hence my general question. Can applying an office profile affect hardware setup on the destination PC - I assumed it was just office application settings like temeplates, toolbars etc.

Mike C

Thanks

Re: Office Profile from Resource kit (Office 2k / xp)

I think it stores the source of the installation files for later re-installation/repair etc. (This would be more applicable if it were a network drive, for example.)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Which version of Windows do you use? Which settings for CD/DVD drive were changed?
    Usually Office settings don't interfere with hardware configuration, but some network-related settings may change assigned drive letters and make drives unrecognizable by OS.
    Internal DVD and CD-ROMS in most cases don't need specific drivers and the only setting for DVD that's really important is DVD Region setting. External drives are controlled by software and software conflict with MSOffice is probable.
    Personally I don

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks Leif. Interestingly I found NO references in the registry to the actual hardware. I searched for "CD-rom" DVD etc and the actual hardware names from device manager....

M