3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Device Manager (XP Home)

I have a problem with my CD-Rom and DVD drives on my new PC. Basically they work perfectly with disks that are present in them from a hot or cold boot, but do not recognise a change of disk when the PC is in use. Actually that is not true either. If on boot there is a CD in the CD-rom drive, it works normally. If i remove this disk, then in explorer the drive name changes from the label on the disk to "CD-RW Drive". If I then load a CD with something on it, the name changes to CD Drive, but the drive does not recognise the disk. "not formatted or corrupted, or not windows etc"

In device manager all of the elements have names - display; system; ports and so on, and when you expand this name, you see the constituent elements. On the other PCs I have access to, the CD drives are named CD-Rom Drives, and within that is the specific drive with its properties..

On the PC that is in trouble there is no top level name. There is a CD icon, there are the details of the two drives, but the name is blank. Does this indocate that there is a fundamental problem here.

I have

a) applied windows updates: [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] applied office updates c) applied an office profile d) loaded a whole bunch of software

any ideas?

Mike C

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Re: Device Manager (XP Home)

Mike,
    Most likely it is something in the 'whole buch of other software'. Did you chekc to see that it was XP compartible? You may want to try to uninstall one application at a time and see if it works after each uninstall. Did it ever work? If so, can you use system restore to a point when it did work?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for input. a) yes the pc worked fine when "virgin". [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] yes, all software is XP compatible c) not caught up with this restore business d) first noticed this after windows updates when doing office ones. asked to put the original cd in drive as part of update and they were not recognised.

Last night I found that running media player "found" the previously unrecognised audio cd quite naturally. I couldnt find an application which did the same thing for the DVD drive.

M

It seems as if

Administrator
    Thanks

Mike,
    If you are comfortable opening the PC you should check the cables to make sure that all are well seated. Then check to see if your BIOS is the current version. Last, I'd recommend getting the PC back to a state where everything worked. Then apply updates one at a time thouroughly testing the CD drives after each update. If all is OK after the updates then start installing appplications one at a time and testing. When you find the update or application causing the problem then you know who to contact. If the PC is new and still under warranty you could try contacting the vendor.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, thank you for this. I have the most basic question.

The xp updates are visible in the add new applications dialogue within control panel. Am I right in assuming that I can uninstall them from this route and effectively wind up in the prior state?

Funnily enough I did check this am and saw that there was a BIOS update available. May summon up the courage to try this!

Yes its all under warranty - it just that I cant really face re-installing everything, but I can see it coming.

M

Administrator
    Thanks

Mike,
    Theoretically, removing an update via the Control Panel will revert the system to the state prior to the update. The only problem becomes updates which affect other updates. If it is still under warranty you can contact the vendor. Sometimes they have good information on conflicts or known problems. If you choose that route you'll need to be persistent and not fall for the re-install everything that many vendors recommend immediately. You may end up needing to do that but only as a last resort. BTW, is the troublesome PC the same hardware and software configuration as others working OK?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Mike
    Had similar problem. Was caused by Windows update of a driver. Backed off driver and worked OK. Then downloaded latest driver from manufacture and that worked also. Advice may be to double check all device drivers installed from Windows update site?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Now this is getting more hopeful, do you by any chance remember which driver, and where you got it? As far as I can tell, the two drives are supported (now) by Microsoft drivers. Of course I have no idea where or what they replaced...

Thanks
    M

Banned Member
    Thanks

Did you try to restore to an earlier time yet , with your restore function.Most the time windows will make a new restore point every time you add something new.And I have had alot of problems with some of Windows Updates. As a matter of fact I turned off the Auto Update. If you have a problem with a piece of hardware or software then you can check update to see if one of those addresses your problem , other wise I don't use Windows Updates period. To be quite honest XP runs very good for me without any Hot Patches. And I have alot of Hardware and Software. You might try going into Device Manager Uninstalling your Cd-Rom & Reinstalling.I have had to do that before because some how the driver got corrupted and couldn't see a cd when I put it in the drive bay. Also if you restore to an earlier time and everything works fine all you have to do is go to your clock and reset date & time . Then create a new restore point. If you don't know how to do this let me know and i will walk you through it. It's easy. Most of us have installed some software at one time that messed something up and had to do a restore.

Administrator
    Thanks

Mike, I'd only recommend using the drivers on the Windows update site as a last resort. You'll be much better off getting drivers from the hardware manufacturer's site. Many times the MS site is months behind the mfgr. If you have an OEM (i.e. Dell, Gateway, etc.) PC you can also check their sites for drivers. They sometimes have special versions of hardware and drivers. OEMs also may make changes to accomodate other hardware/software changes they've made. Best thing is always establish a restore point before updating a driver (XP is supposed to do this automatically but I'm not sure I'd trust it to happen). Then, you can always go back to a previously good set of drivers. Also, only update one driver at a time unless there is some very good reason to do more. Run for a period of time until you are comfortable that the new driver is behaving itself before even thinking about updating another driver.

Joe
    Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks

Right on Joe. The manufacturer's drivers are always your best bet. I create restore points on a consistent basis cause you never know when your going to need it. And Joe's right one driver at a time. Other wise your right back in the same mess if something goes wrong.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well now. Yes I tried re-installing the CD-ROM and DVD drivers, no I couldn't face restoring - I take it that you cannot "roll-forward" again afterwards.... Checked both PC supplier and drive supplier sites for new (or even current) drivers. Nothing. However, I did do two things, one was read the drive suppliers site for other people's problems, and I really went very carefully throught the order in which I loaded the software. Conclusion a) the manufacturers were pretty focused on one set of commercial CD-writing software [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] I had loaded a competitive set at about the right point in the loading sequence.

Tried uninstalling the CD writing software and sure enough removing the packet writing TSR software has made the drives (including DVD!) recognise the disks when they are changed. = 90% chance its solved.

thanks to all who chipped in. I will let the PC manufacturer know that they should be explicit about which software works and which doesn't

M

Banned Member
    Thanks

Yes you can undo your restore point. If going back to an earlier time is not to your liking you can return to were you were. Once you get things running like you want them to I would suggest you create a restore point and date it. By the way Windows XP can write to a CD. It has it's own built in software for burning Data & Music. Thats all I ever use.I didn't even use the Burning Software that came with my Sony CDRW.