2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

paste, link, etc XL2000 (2000 SR-1)

The attached file is a calendar, 56 rows x 13 columns. Some dates are formatted as reversed out, ie white text on a black background.
    I need to include the calendar in a leaflet, which I propose to assemble in a page layout application. If the calendar could be paste linked, so much the better, as there is more than version of the reversed-out dates (and the calendar itself will change, next year, etc.) The calendar needs to be capable of being re-sized.
    I'm having severe problems doing what I want, as follows:
    In Word 2000 paste linking as an excel object only carries the first 41 rows, and the cell formatting is lost. The other 'paste special' options aren't satisfactory, either.
    Similar result is obtained by pasting into PowerPoint (and no 'link' option offered, either.)
    With Publisher, again, unsatisfactory.
    With Serif Page Plus 8 PDF, my preferred application, I get the 1st 51 rows, but the reversed-out formatting is lost so that some dates 'disappear'.
    All these applications claim to be OLE-compliant, no doubt.
    Using the 'paste as picture' option into a new worksheet in XL carries the first 51 rows, formatting intact, but the descenders of letters like 'g' get lost in the cell below.
    Pasting the picture from above into Page Plus loses the formatting.
    I think the above saga is pretty unsatisfactory, especailly as I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, nor even particularly ambitious.
    I've done this sort of thing before, typically from XL97 into PagePlus 6, and don't recall having problems. But that's at home...
    The only workaround I can think of is to use XL as the page layout application, but it's the wrong tool for the job, made more difficult by XL's print preview not being very good, my experience.
    Comments, or even better, HELP, please!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: paste, link, etc XL2000 (2000 SR-1)

I tried:

- setting zoom size to fit the entire used range
    - copying
    - paste special into Word, Microsoft Excel object.

I fI paste link, I get what you stated, if I paste without link, the whole range is there.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Thanks

You might reduce the font size in excel.

The "truncation" occurs because XL does not copy data that it thinks is outside the width of a typical printed sheet of paper. There is probably a "logical microsoft" (a great oxymoron) reason of why, but I don't know it.

If you make excel believe the picture is smaller you might be able to link it without the truncation.

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for these ideas, chaps.
    The bit about font size is certainly a factor, it seems: 10pt takes it all, 11 point all but the last row, and from then on it gets worse.
    The bit about an imagined paper size may not be true: pasting the copied object on a custom page pre-set at 299 x 558 doesn't help.
    Furthermore, if the object is copied into Page Plus direct or via Word, the irritating (and fatal) loss of the reversed-out formatting still stands.
    Would it be useful to transfer this thread onto 'General Office Solutions'?
    I'm hugely surprised that what seems to be very straightforward is so hard!
    May have to use XL as the page layout application after all....
    There's a first for everything....
    (Wasn't the '1-2-3' of the Lotus product an indication of its alleged versatility - wordprocessor, drawing package and spreadsheet all bundled up into one?)

Thanks

The "imagined paper size" is NOT related to the paste, but to the COPYing from XL. The COPY in XL seems to truncate the picture. Once the "source" is truncated, it doesn't matter WHAT program you paste to, it has a problem.

Steve