Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Command button = parameter query (2000/9.0.3821 SR1)

I have a form equipped with command buttons that launch reports. These reports are almost identical in appearance, but the different reports address either a different category of employee (new-hires, non-exempts, exempts, technical, and so on) or different levels of training. The form also has a means to search a table for a specific employee's Payroll ID, so that when I launch the report it will display only the information for that individual employee. The report displays--in order--the employee's Last name, First name, MI, Student ID, Payroll ID, and date of next assessment.

When I first built the form, I placed buttons for just four reports. Now I have seven buttons, and they all work just fine...with one little hitch. One--and only one--of the newer buttons prompts the user for the "Employee ID" number. The user uses the form as follows: (1) Enter's the employee's Payroll ID number in the search box. The employee's information displays in the lower pane. Then (2) clicks on the button for the appropriate report. Now the report launches with the employee's information on display. That's the way it's supposed to work. However, when we click on a particular command button, up pops a parameter box asking the user to enter the Student ID. That number already appeared on the form, but now we have to enter it manually. Once we've "fed the baby" and clicked OK, the report launches.

Each report draws its data from its own query. These queries--like the reports--differ only in minor details. When I added a new command button for a new report, I simply copied an existing query, renamed it and modified it to suit the purpose.

This is not a huge problem--just an annoyance, really--but I want to fix it. I've studied the queries, and I've studied the reports till my eyes have crossed, but I can't see why this one button insists on asking for additional information. The queries have no parameters specified. Can anyone suggest what to look for?

Thanks

Re: Command button = parameter query (2000/9.0.3821 SR1)

If the problem is not within the query which sources your report then it must be in the report itself. Possible culprits are:
    Calculation expressions
    Conditional formatting expressions
    Grouping and Sorting dialog
    typos

HTH
    Steve H
    IT Lecturer/Access Developer
    O2K SR3/O2010; Win7Pro

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Command button = parameter query (2000/9.0.3821 SR1)

Also look for mis-spelt names and check the grouping options for the report - the 'parameter' may be there.