Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge Changes? (Word 2002)

I have a mail merge doc that works great under Word 2000. Under Word 2002, I get a Error! Missing test condition. The document is a tax letter. The data coming in has multiple records for each id. The document used a page-break as the looping mechanism to keep reading records until the PaySeq field = 1. If Payseq field = 1, then letterhead is printed, letter is addressed, etc. If it is not one, detail lines are printed according to format, until the next Payseq field = 1. Word 2000 it works fine, Word 2002, give me an error, and I suspect it has to do with the IF field spanning the page break.

Any ideas, or confirmation?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge Changes? (Word 2002)

Hi,

Mail merge does work differently in Word 2002 then previous versions. I use many "IF" statements in mail merging and had lots of problems moving to XP. The "suppress blank lines" function no longer works in mail merging if the merge is within an "IF" statement. You may find that other functionality within an "IF" statement no longer works.

It may be worth you looking back to the mails I had with Ed Craig 05/12/02. He found a work around for the blank line suppression problem and he obviously knows a lot about this scenario. He may be able to help you with this problem.

Good luck

JOTO

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi rkeating (Hi JOTO)

If this is still a problem then it might be worth your while to revisit the mailmerge.fields ms word newsgroup where you also posted this question. You've had a response there by one of the MVPs who contribute in that group.

As I have had some exposure to a Word 2002, mailmerge, IF field problem, JOTO suggested in her reply that I might be able to help and I am happy to have a go at that. However, I would recommend that you follow up on the MVP's response to your posting first as a solution to the problem is a tad more likely to be provided by her than by me.

Awaiting the outcome ...

Regards.

Ed

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi there. Having seen similar situations and reading this thread to date, I'd be very interested in seeing a resolution as well. Please share the MVP's solution with us should it resolve your merge issues.

Thanks in advance.
    Karen

Lounger
    Thanks

I have replied to the MVP but do not have anything to "try" yet. I will come back and advise when it is determined that it is broke, or worked-around. <grin>

Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry I don't have good news. The MVP requested a look at the document, but on the MS newsgroup, not private email. Because the document came with a product, (but is not supported, go figure) I don't feel I can post it publicly. Also, because tax deadline is tomorrow, we printed with a Word2000 version and have another 365 days to figure it out, or get the vendor to pony up and fix it. I had a sanitized data file and a copy of the letter being used that I was going to send privately, but private emails are for paying customers. I understand that concept, and support it (being a consultant myself), so I let it drop.

Sorry it is a dead end with no solution at this point.