Star Lounger
    Thanks

A2k Runtime and Office XP (A2K, XP)

I have a number of applications developed in Access 2000, and which I build and distribute with Office Developer (MOD2000). I am seeking any information about co-existence of Access 2000 Runtime with Access 2002 from Office XP. Several scenarios come to mind:
    - user installs application with A2002 already installed
    - user installs A2002 on system with application and A2K runtime installed
    - user upgrades A2K system (with application) to A2002

Any advice, warnings, hints, would be appreciated. I could find no refernces to this on the Microsoft site, but one user reported major problems related to non-functioning buttons on forms, etc, which sounded like a dll conflict. I am wondering if A2002 over-writes existing runtime files with non-compatible versions.

Thanks.
    Geoffrey

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: A2k Runtime and Office XP (A2K, XP)

Our resident guru on these kind of issues is away at the moment, but this is a frequent concern when distributing runtime based applications. You might take a look at <post#=197358>post 197358</post#> for some comments on these issues. You also might want to do a Search on the Access forum for "runtime" and "installer"
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Wendell. Although it is difficult to know what terms to use in a search of these boards, I had seen all those you referred to. I have noted Charlotte's comments in the past about difficulties with the Developer packager, but have not ever understood the alternative in terms of deciding if Access Runtime needs to be installed and then putting it onto the user system. (Perhaps if I had the funds to purchase a third-party installer I might learn!)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If your application shortcuts (including the program menu) point to the runtime version of Access, it doesn't matter what full version you might have installed. Access 2002 should have no problem at all reading and writing to Access 2000 databases, particularly since A2k is the default format for AXP. The runtime files should be installed in their own directory, both to avoid possible conflicts with other versions of Access and so that you can easily build your shortcuts to what is obviously a runtime folder. If you open an A2k database with AXP, you should have NO non-functional objects. However, if you install the A2k runtime in the same folder as AXP or an AXP runtime, you will definitely run into problems. Office XP if the first version that creates its own Office 10 folder when you install it, so you shouldn't run into problems between the two versions, but you will have to watch out for updated objects and dlls in AXP. Again, making sure the runtime files are not installed in the same folder as either a full installation of the same version of another version should eliminate the problems. That said, the packaging wizard that comes with Office Developer is pathetic when it comes to allowing you to control the folders where the individual files are installed. If your dlls were all installed in common folders (such as System32), then yes, you could have problems with an A2k runtime that depended on those dlls.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can force the runtime to install even if it isn't required. It is safest to do so if you aren't sure whether the "installed" version of Access will work properly and always if the existing version of Access is not the same as the one you're installing.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the comments.
    Geoffrey.