Lounger
    Thanks

Print Manager Won't Delete

I have experienced a problem for quite some time on both Win98 SE and Win ME and wondered if anyone knew of a fix.

When I attempt to print (e.g., from Word) and the printer has not been powered on, the print qeue freezes. Subsequently nothing will print and I am unable to delete the document in line that was intended to print at the time the printer was offline (the item says "Deleting" in Print Manager but will not terminate).

Turning the printer off and on does nothing, nor does closing Word. The only fix I have found is to reboot (not an attractive option with Norton Antivirus and Zone Alarm enabled). Sometimes after rebooting I receive a message that "print jobs are pending" which I cancel to return to normality; otherwize the system freeze will continue if I attempt to print the documents pending.

Is there any workaround for this, or way to delete a pending print job other than via print manager?

Thanks,
    Sat Kartar

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Print Manager Won't Delete

Not sure this will help, but when I've had some printing queue problems, I went to Start/Settings/Printers. Then delete the printer & click "Add Printer" & go through the setup again. You might also check to see if you have the latest drivers.

Hope this works for you.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"Is there any workaround for this, or way to delete a pending print job other than via print manager?"

The best thing to do is TURN ON the printer before booting. Since the DOS days, it has been to turn on ALL devices and then the computer and still is. You will find that this is a bigger problem with the new USB printers. They NEED to be ON when you boot.

As for the pending print jobs, open the printer status window for the printer and "Purge" the jobs.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, guys, for the ideas.

Phil, I may try reinstalling the driver at some point, but presently am reluctant because I have experienced the problem across a range of printers and have a current driver that was recently installed on two computers (new printer). Your post made me wonder though whether getting rid of junk like the drivers for Winfax (which in recent years has become too complicated for me to work with given the limited number of occasions that it might be convenient) would help the situation any.

Dave, while I agree that ideally the printer would always be powered on first, what I am trying to address are situations when this is not the case. Incidentally, I have not found any problem with powering on my (new USB) printer after booting Win98 or WinME. Problems only occurred when I (or my wife on the network) accidentally started a print job before powering on the printer.

The overall problem that I hoped to address is that the "Purge" function in Print Manager is not reliable. In my original post I attempted to describe occasions when rebooting and choosing "Cancel" pending jobs was the only way to get Print Manager to give up the ghost. I had hoped there might be another way to kill pending print jobs, analogous to the sequence <ctrl-alt-delete> "end task," program is not responding," "end task" or the "kill forcefully" option in Tray Killer, either of which reliably dislodge programs that are frozen and refuse to end of their own accord. If there is no such procedure with regard to print jobs,
    I am afraid rebooting may remain my only alternative for backing out of pending print jobs that have become frozen or fail to respond.

Thanks again,
    Sat Kartar

Super Moderator
    Thanks

First I did NOT see any where YOU are on a network utill the last reply, that said.

"Purge" function in Print Manager is not reliable
    You must remove the print job from the machine that the printer is plugged into, not the one that sent the print job, unless the computer that the printer is plugged into is NOT booted up. If this is the case then the print file may be on the compter that sent the print job, because the other was NOT on to receive it.

What you also need to do is, when you have a print file hung, you may need to turn off the printer and then turn it back on. This will clear the buffer within the printer.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Are you (more often than not) printing from a particular application, such as Word?
    I'm not sure, but it may be possible to write a macro that tests for the existence of an online printer before sending the job to the printer. You would then replace your toolbar Print button with a new one linking to the macro.
    If it is Word, it may be worth asking the question in the Word forum!

Lounger
    Thanks

True, I blew off the detail about the network because that's a new variable not especially relevant; the problem predates the network by at least a year or two.

I have tried turning the printer on and off to clear the queue on a number of occasions; this has not been successful and seems to increase the likelihood that a reboot will be necessary. Troubleshooting on this end (i.e., verifying that clearing the print buffer doesn't help, and may even make things worse) helped me narrow it down as a Windows problem.

Thanks for your response,
    Sat Kartar

Lounger
    Thanks

That woud be worth exploring since it usually is Word that we print from.

Thanks for the idea
    SK