3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printer setting MDE (A97 Win2k)

Should printer settings be saved in an MDE report?

I have set up an MDE front end copied it to several users and then tried to set the paper to A3 for their machines. If I go to Print Preview I can right click and set printer properties and then print the reports OK, but as soon as I come out of the report and reopen it the settings have reverted to A4.

Is this a

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printer setting MDE (A97 Win2k)

A change in the page or printer setup counts as a design change - if you do this in an .mdb database, you will see that the Last Modified date of the report is updated.

In an .mde database, it's impossible to save design changes. So you must modify the .mdb database from which the .mde was made, and then convert it to .mde again.

Alternatively, you can write code to store and retrieve page and printer settings, for example in a table, in custom database properties or in the Windows Registry. You must do this in the .mdb, and then convert to .mde again, but this way, you won't have to repeat the process each time you need different settings.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans.

I was begining to think that this would be the case. I think that I will just have to bite the bullet and set up proper security and give them .MDB's.
    Just need to find the time now to do it!

Peter

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you set the page settings to A3 in the MDB and then create the MDE the MDE will still have the setting as A3. This is what you want I believe - no need to implement security.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately I have A3 and A4 on the same MDE, on the machine I changed the paper to A3 as default it then proceeded to print the A4 on an A3 page!,
    Still I should have security, I was just pressed for time as it was a DB to replace an old Paradoxs system and had to start on Jan 1.

Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

But if you saved the reports originally with A3 settings, those settings should be retained in the the MDE, even if some of the other reports have A4 settings. It only goes out the window if the target machine doesn't have the same printer installed.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have reports in an mde with different sizes (A4 + A3) and modes (landscape + normal). They print as I want them to. No security involved. Set the settings in the MDB then convert it to an MDE. Don't try to change the settings in the MDE.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Something seems to have reset them in the MDE's. The original MDB was set up using an A3 printer and the MDE from itt worked fine, this was then copied to various machines but when I tried printing it came out reset to A4. Would the fact that the default printer on the other machines was not the A3? (most have A4 Laser printers as their default)

Peter

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access will use the default printer unless you specifically instruct it not to. That is part of customising the report.