Star Lounger
    Thanks

Low Conv. Memory??? (XP Home)

My PC @ home has XP Home Ed. I have had no problems with it until I downloaded the XP SP 1 and a couple other driver updates. The driver updates were for the NIC and my monitor, so I would think that the SP 1 has caused the problem, which is I can start from a cold boot and log onto the net and maybe open up Music Match, then within a short period of time I will get the Low Memory problem. I have looked to see if there was a small patch to fix the problem and could not find one. Has anyone had or heard of this problem?

Trent

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Low Conv. Memory??? (XP Home)

How much memory have you got in the machine? I don't know about other folks, but I NEVER let Microsoft install drivers, except maybe on a clean install of an OS. Even then, I always look to the manufacturer's web site for the latest drivers. You might want to give that a try for the NIC and the monitor. Of course, it's possible that the manufacturer might say "use what you get from MS" and if so, it's back to the drawing board.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

256MB. Sorry didn't clarify I updated the drivers, not MS. I have also read the post on Is SP1 fixed yet, and most people say they have not had a problem with SP1.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah, I'm with the group that hasn't had any SP-1 problems and I've done a bunch at work. I guess the next thing would be to open Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and select the Processes tab. Leave it running, even if you have to drag it to a corner to get it out of your way. When you get the low memory message, see what the processes list looks like. Ever Onward!

Banned Member
    Thanks

Something I learned along time ago . If you check to see what the last thing it is you did before the problem started you will probably find the problem. Have you tried just using the generic monitor driver that came with your OS ? Do a driver roll back and see if that stops the message window about low memory. Of course you may not even have low memory but the driver your useing makes windows think you do. If you don't have the problem after roll back then you need to try and find a differant driver.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Try to increase amount of virtual memory. To do so, press WIndows key and Pause/Break key on your keyboard simultaneously, on pop-up System Properties window click Advanced tab, then in Performance area Settings button. On the next Performanse Settings window, click Advanced tab and Change button in Virtual Memory area. Depending of your hard drive configuration, choose for example C: drive, Custom size, set Initial size to 384, Maximum to 768. Click Set button, OK, OK, OK.
    I hope it can solve your problem.

Another option that you have not enough room on your hard drive for page file.
    Click Start | All Programs | Accessories | Sysytem tools | Disk cleanup and follow the wizard. If you use Norton Utilities, clean your Norton Protected Recycle Bin. After deleting temp and cache files defragment your hard drive (Start | All Programs | Accessories | Sysytem tools | Disk Defragmenter). Sometimes it helps even without increasing of virtual memory: once I saw a hard drive with 4 GB of temp files...

Banned Member
    Thanks

One thing you might also consider is WinXP eats memory like candy it loves it. Add another stick of 128 or 256 and increase your memory. It never hurts and WinXP runs better with more then less, especially if your running programs that use alot of memory. You can increase your Virtual Memory but it won't run as smooth and fast as RAM. Besides you can find memory at a good price.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, but NT (from which XP hails) by design uses virtual memory. Increasing it won't (or rather "should not") exact a performance hit, but 256MB of extended memory is about the bare minimum. Due to the memory architecture in XP, increasing the virtual memory space is a cost free first step. Adding another 256MB somewhere down the road would be a great idea, I personally feel XP struggles with 256, and less than that makes it a slug.

MusicMatch is causing the problem? First, remove and re-install it. Also make sure you are using the latest version if at all possible. Does everything slow down when this happens, and is there a lot of disk activity? Mucho disk activity would indicate that you're running out of physical RAM, which as Cowboydawg noted, is a lot faster than virtual memory. MusicMatch is a disk intensive application anyway - particularly if you're playing MP3s or ripping CDs. How are you using MusicMatch when the message occurs?
    -Mark

Banned Member
    Thanks

Right on Wylly . XP runs like crap on 256MB of Ram. I have 768MB and have never run low . And I love to Game.