3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

forbid tampering with the tables (Access 2000)

Is it possible to make the tables inaccessible to the user? I mean the user should use only the interface and not the tables themselves.I want possibly make the tables invisible and inaccesible to the user.The known way by choosing the options in the Access is not suitable since the users are already acquainted with this posiblity.I do not know is it possible at all but any comment on this respect will be mostly appreciated. They say this is is drawback of Access as compared with Oraclle.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: forbid tampering with the tables (Access 2000)

The best way is to use user-level security.This allows you to define different types of users in your database - developers with the ability to see and modify the design of tables etc., ordinary users with only limited rights, etc. It takes some time and effort to set it up, especially if you're doing it for the first time, but it isn't all that hard. Microsoft has an excellent paper on security - you can download it from ACC: Microsoft Access Security FAQ Available in Download Center.

You may also find the Security Manager add-in useful; it only works in an English-language version of Access, though. It can be downloaded from ACC2000: Microsoft Access Security Manager Add-In Available in Download Center.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

To add to Hans' comment, it is possible to lock things down to the point where any but the most persistent hacker will not be able to get into the tables and play with them. One of the things you need to do is to prevent people from using the SHIFT key to bypass the startup facilities. You may also want to prevent the use of short-cut menus as well. Bottom line is Access can be locked up about as well as Oracle can be.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Stil another option, if you're comfortable with code, is to not have any tables in the front end, linked or otherwise, except for the system tables you can't avoid. I have a sample of this kind of thing posted here if you want to download and play with it. It's called the No Tables Sample Database and you'll find it under my name. It uses ADO disconnected recordsets and unbound forms, and unfortunately, it is too large to post in the Lounge, although most of the size is the back end. The front end is quite small since it has only two forms and a couple of queries.
    Charlotte