New Lounger
    Thanks

Shutdown Problem (XP SR1)

I recently setup 3 brand new Dell Opti-Plex systems for a customer. They have only the standard apps Dell supplies along with Office XP Small Business, Lotus Notes, and Norton AntiVirus 7.6 Corporate Edition. I have already verified that the machines have the latest drivers and BIOS updates from Dell.

The problem I have encountered is that all three machines take an extremely long time to shut down (@ 15 minutes). As the computer is shutting down, it prompts to End Task every application that might have been running, even system apps like Explorer, taskmgr, etc. If you end every prompt it throws up, the machine will eventually power off. As a side note, if you make a system change that requires a reboot, the pc shuts down fast (within 10 seconds), but the next time, the problem comes back. BTW, a normal reboot still has the problem.

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them. Thanks.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Shutdown Problem (XP SR1)

Windows update has a couple of Hot Fixes for shut down problems with WinXP.Go to Microsoft Windows Updates and check those out and see if you might have a compatability problem.Windows has to save all your settings before shuting down and it sounds like you have an aufull lot of settings it's trying to save. Check Norton . I have had Norton slow my machines down on shutdown. To a point that I won't even use Norton Software at all.