New Lounger

Access 97 to Access 2000 Conversion (9.0.4402 SR-1)

I am trying to convert a Access97 database to Access2000. Problems encountering are: THE FIRST ERROR: One or more forms or reports contains an ActiveX control that could not be loaded. These controls will not function properly until you register the, open the forms or reports in Design view, and save the forms or reports. THE SECOND ERROR AFTER I REPLY TO THE FIRST ERROR IS: when I try to compile I get an error message "There is no object in this control". I am not familar enough with ACCESS to correct the errors.

I have A ZIPPED FILE (size 433kb) containing the MDB file if anyone would need it to view my errors.
    I would appreciate any help I can get at this point.

Plutonium Lounger

Re: Access 97 to Access 2000 Conversion (9.0.4402 SR-1)

You might have to delete the ActiveX controls and create them anew on the form/report. If you give them the same name as the original ones, code referring to them should still work (no need to update). You'd have to set the properties of the new controls as they were for the old controls, which can be a nuisance. I hope someone else has a better idea.

Super Moderator
    Evergreen, CO, USA

Re: Access 97 to Access 2000 Conversion (9.0.4402 SR-1)

This is a common problem when you use ActiveX components. Presuming there is no dependency on Access, you should simply be able to go to the VBA editor in 2000 and add references to the controls. The most common one is comctl32.ocx which contains several components such as the treeview that Microsoft has. If however you point it to mscomctl.ocx which is the version that comes with 2000, you may indeed have to recreate the controls - we found we had to in a couple of cases, but some others didn't require it. If you continue to have problems, post the specific controls you are having trouble with and perhaps someone else has had experience with them.