New Lounger
    Thanks

Selecting text in Word 2000 (Win98 SE & Word 2000)

I have a large 200 page document. The question is simple: how can I select, say, 30 pages in the middle. Doing it manually with the mouse there is no control. There must be another, simpler way to select, say, pages 110-141. Keyboard perhaps?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Selecting text in Word 2000 (Win98 SE & Word 2000)

Click at the beginning of the first word you wish to select, then hold down the Shift key, move the mouse to the end of the passage, and click again. Everything in between will be selected.

Lounger
    Thanks

I just tried something - give this a whirl.

Click at the beginning of the desired selection.

Press the F8 key (this is the Extrend key - it "locks the insertion point" - you'll see EXT on the status bar).

Press F5 (the Go To key - opens the Find and Replace/Go To dialog box).

Type the page number to which you want to go. Click Go To. The selection goes to whatever page you specified. Click Close.

Now, press the CTRL key and continue to manually select (to fine tune the selection - no doubt the steps above did not select to precisely the point you desire).

To turn off Extend, press the ESC key.

HTH,

Anne

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I like Anne's way personally, but for small selections (say 10-30 pages) somewhere in the middle, there's another quick method. Start by putting the insertion point where you want to start the selection. Then you can use Shift+PageDown.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Den,

To make it even easier: you don't need to hold down the Shift key the whole time: just click once at the beginning of the range you need to select. Navigate to the end of the range you need to select, and then hold down the Shift key and click.

Gary

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You're right. I knew as much but didn't explain it properly.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

This is the method I use frequently. The most convenient way I find to "navigate to the end of the range you need to select" is to drag on the vertical scroll bar (down and/or up) to get the end of the required selection showing on the screen. Then Shift+Click at the correct location.

Alan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

There are a couple of TechNet articles relating to this problem, the one for Word 2000 being WD2000: Hard to Control Mouse When You Select Text at Bottom of Screen. There are four workarounds described there, some of which have been mentioned above.

But (for me!) the most important sentence was: <font face="Comic Sans MS">This problem was corrected in Microsoft Office XP. </font face=comic>

I have some (non-Office) software running on Windows XP which still exhibits the "runaway" tendencies observed in Word 2000, Word 97, Word 6, and so forth, so I would be very interested if anyone knew exactly WHAT Microsoft has done to fix the problem in Office XP that hasn't been fixed in the afore-mentioned software!

Thanks!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...