New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 98 memory problems?

I have a DELL running at 300 mhz with 320MB memory. I run several programs during the day, including Tradestsation, a stock
    quote program. Periodically, the system freezes. McAfee wingauge says I am out of resources. I was told by Tradestation support that Windows 98 only" uses" 192MB of memory, and if I would switch to windows 2000 I would have not have this problem. I started with 64MB, added 128MB and saw a big difference in performance. I added another 128MB and saw no difference. I was
    also told to remove the 64MB since it was probably not operating correctly with the others. I did and did not see any
    degradation of performance. Does any of this sound right, and would it do any good to add another 128MB? I was also told by someone else they would not put W2000 on my machine.
    Thanks for any help.
    Bandit

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows 98 memory problems?

Tradestation is misinforming you. Windows 98's architecture allows the use of up to 512MB physical RAM - after that, Windows can't address the memory so it's wasted. Using Windows 2000 would likely result in better performance, simply because it's a better operating system and doesn't have the constraints of Windows 98. It handles memory quite differently.

You probably saw no difference after adding that last stick of 128 because everything was running in physical memory already. The performance difference came because Windows wasn't swapping memory to the disk as often.

I've run Windows 2000 on a 300MHz machine without problems. In fact, my laptop at the office is a Pentium II 300 with 256MB RAM, and it's just fine. A little slower than I would like - but as long as I don't run ten things at once, it's not a problem.

What's probably causing your problem is a program that is not releasing memory when it's done. This is called a memory leak, and it can happen a lot with Windows 98 - again, because of the design. It's just not as robust as Windows NT, 2000, or XP. Reduce the number of programs that are running concurrently, including the resource meter - everything that is running is adding to the load, even with all the RAM you have.

HTH,
    -Mark

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Windows 98 memory problems?

Wylly is right Win2000 is a very good OS and it will work with your Rig. When I was using Win98se I used a program called [Memoturbo]. It will keep up with memory usage and retrieve lost or leaked memory. You can find it at [SharewareOnline.com] you can download it for free.