Star Lounger
    Thanks

ControlTip Text on tab control (2K)

Hello all,

I am working on a form that includes a 3-paged tab control that includes summary information about the various phases of the individual's time in a job-readiness/placement program. I would like to add information to the ControlTips for the tabs along the lines of "click here to view pre-placement information about this client" or "click here to view job placements for this individual". The tabs are labelled, but I feel that the words "click here..." are very useful when the user puts her or his mouse over the tab.

I am curious if there is a way to have this text appear only when the mouse is over the top labelled part of the tab but not when the mouse is on the main body of the tab page. If I add this to the ControlTip Text for the tab page, when the mouse rests anywhere on the open tab page the text appears, and in then the "click here..." message is misleading. Is there anyway to isolate this to only the tab labels?

Thanks,
    Karl

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ControlTip Text on tab control (2K)

Have you tried putting a label or textbox over the part that you want to have the control tip on?

Just an idea.

Cecilia :-)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm... I tried a transparent textbox, but that didn't seem to work because I couldn't anything in front of the tab label.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry to disappoint you, but the tabs don't have labels. What you see is their caption, and the "tab" you click on is not a separate object from the page. That means that you only have one controltip for a tab page, not a separate one for the tab and the body of the page. You could, however, possibly use the MouseMove event of the tab page to test the screen coordinates of the cursor and determine whether to show a text box on that page based on the coordinates.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The only thing that will go over a tab control is a subform or something similar, like an activex control. You can't do it with regular Access controls.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the information Charlotte.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for the misinformation. I was just suggesting an idea.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's a neat trick, Mark. I hadn't thought about using a rectangle, but it does work, maybe because rectangles are kind of odd controls anyhow. If they are over any other controls, they suppress the tooltips, but apparently since the tabs are beyond the edge of the box, you can get the tooltips for the pages to appear.

A workaround for the nonfunctional tooltips on the other controls is to put the other controls onto a subform and put the subform on the tab page. Then bring the rectangle to the front. That will suppress the tooltip for any area of the tab page except the tab portion but will NOT suppress the tooltips on the subform controls, since the subform floats to the top, even over a rectangle.
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by MarkD on 18-Jan-03 05:29. Deleted attachment - see revised attachment, Post #215391.)</P>About the only way you can do this easily (far as I know) is to place a transparent Rectangle control ("box") on form. The rectangle should be same size as rectangular main body of tab control and positioned in same location on form. Use format Bring to Front command with rectangle and any controls on tab control's pages. Enter ControlTip Text for each tab page. The ControlTips will appear only when cursor is positioned over the tabs, they will not appear when cursor positioned elsewhere on tab control page. One drawback: If controls on page have ControlTips, it seems they only appear when control has the focus, otherwise do not appear, even though the Bring to Front command was used with controls.

A small db (A2K format) is attached with form that demonstrates this sophisticated technique (aka kludge). Form uses Northwind "Employees" table as record source; either import form into your copy of Northwind, or relink table if necessary.

PS: Deleted attachment - revised sample db attached below, see Post #215391.

HTH

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I didn't think of using a subform - that's a good trick too! A revised copy of sample db (A2K format) is attached demonstrating this technique for anyone interested - 1st tab of form displays "transparent" subform control, the ControlTips for individual textbox controls are now NOT obscured or "suppressed" by the rectangle control, but the Tab Control Page ControlTips ARE supressed unless cursor is positioned over the tabs. To give the illusion that subform is not a subform, the linking field on main form (EmployeeID, in this example) is hidden on main form's hidden footer. This allows you to use the main form's navigation buttons to navigate from record to record, the subform's navigation buttons are not visible. Of course, this will mean more work for you if working with subform's properties, events, and controls in code.... If individual controls do not have ControlTips, or you aren't concerned if they are suppressed unless control has the focus, then place controls on tab page directly, this will simplify things....

Attached db uses Northwind.mdb "Employees" table, either import both forms into local copy of Northwind, or open & relink table if necessary.
    Attached Files Attached Files