Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Access the WWW in Access (Access97/SR2)

(I'm posting in Access because that's where I have the problem; the post might be better off in another forum).

I have changed a table field definition from Text to Hyperlink, and so the Form based on the Query based on the Table now responds when I click on that field - it fires up Internet Explorer and takes me straight to the web page (after I remember to dial-up).

Problem is, my default browser is supposed to be Mozilla, or Netscape; anything but IE.

How can I tell Acess or the powers-that-be to use Mozilla when I click on the link?

If it involves a registry fix, I can do that manually. My registry is backed up each morning to guard against fools like me .......

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access the WWW in Access (Access97/SR2)

Here is how I got Access to open the page in Netscape.

I changed the field back to a text field, then wrote the following as the onclick event.

<pre>Private Sub field_Click()
    Dim retval As Double
    Dim strdestination As String
    strdestination = Me!field
    retval = Shell("C:Program FilesNetscapeCommunicatorProgramnetscape.exe " & strdestination)
    End Sub
    </pre>

Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't tried it myself, but using ShellExecute should open .htm and .html pages in the application you have associated with those extensions. As in John Hutchison's reply, you should use a text field for this.

ShellExecute can be used to open or print *any* file in the application associated with its extension. See <post#=191458>post 191458</post#> for an example of how to use it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you; this works well.

But see also my follow-up post asking about a test for an internet connection (dial-up)