Star Lounger
    Thanks

Viewing old faxes ex OL97 (2002 + WinXP)

WinXP fax facility is adequate for my fax needs (except I wish it was network capable - ie able to send faxes from other PCs through the one that has a modem attached).

However, my current problem is that I seem no longer to be able to open old faxes in my OL inbox that are in .awd format that was used in OL97. Seems odd that WinXP pic & fax viewer that replaces Kodak Imaging in W95/98 cannot open the .awd faxes. ie. not backwards compatible with previous versions of windows.

I (briefly) searched in both the OL & WinXP forums but found nothing about problems viewing old faxes. Am I missing something?

Is there any software in WinXP or OfficeXP that I can use to view the .awd files? Seems crazy that WinXP Pic & fax viewer does not do it.

David

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Viewing old faxes ex OL97 (2002 + WinXP)

I got no replies from this post, so I followed up again today in microsoft.public.outlook.fax, then did some more searching on the net.

After getting a lead from an article on the Slipstick site, I eventually cracked this one !!!!!

In case anyone else is interested in viewing .awd fax files on an XP system, a copy of the solution is pasted below.

David

~~~~~~~~~~ View .awd fax files in WinXP - solution ~~~~~~~~~~

As per the Slipstick article, Microsoft provides a "conversion utility" on the Windows XP CD that is located under i386win9xmigfax.

There are two files in this directory - AWDVSTUB.EXE & MIGRATE.DLL.

Simply copy both these files to any convenient directory on your local machine & THEN ASSOCIATE the .awd file extension with AWDVSTUB.EXE.

Thereafter, to view an old .awd fax, simply locate the fax "message" in Inbox (or other folder - or the file, if it has been saved to HD) & double click on the .awd file. The fax promptly opens in Picture & Fax Viewer, just like any "new" fax. By all means save a copy (who knows how long the support for .awd will last?), but for the present, opening .awd files is as simple as viewing any new fax.

Turns out that AWDVSTUB.EXE is primarily intended as a "Fax AWD Viewer" rather than a conversion facility (the "FileDescription" within the exe is "Fax AWD Viewer 6"). Despite this, searching for "AWDVSTUB" on the MS KnowledgeBase yeilds nothing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~