3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

European Number Formatting (Excel 2K SR-1)

I have created a number of spreadsheets for use in Europe. One of the requests I have received is to change the formatting of numbers from US to EU styles. The US formatting looks like this:

x,xxx.00

In Europe, they reverse the comma and the decimal point so that it looks like this:

x.xxx,00

I have tried to create a custom number format by selecting one of the offered versions and then swapping the comma and the point, but the result is not what I anticipated. If I take a common number format and make that change, the result uses the digits entered, but instead of simply making the swap, it thinks that the decimal place indicates I want 3 three units showing to the right of the decimal and it keeps the comma as the thousands separator. In other words, it shifts the decimal place three units to the left, keeping all of the same numbers.

Does anyone know how I can format numbers for European users?

Douglas

5 Star Lounger
    Reading/Swindon, Berkshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Re: European Number Formatting (Excel 2K SR-1)

Douglas,

two minor points

a) not everyone in europe uses a comma as the decimal symbol and a period as the grouping symbol - acheive your goal and you might get other people asking you to change it back (like those darn Brits, for instance)

[img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] I didn't realise this was possible through excel - I thought it was done through control panel / regional options/numbers. This works for me so I'm confused as to why the request has been made of you - surely any user would have their regional settings how they want them? - however, if I'm wrong on this point then I suspect Hans or Jan Karel will pick up on it as they are both used to dealing with international versions of excel.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: European Number Formatting (Excel 2K SR-1)

I agree with Brooke - let the user's Regional Settings take care of it. If you format a number with *your* decimal and thousands separator, Windows will automatically use the *local* decimal and thousands separator on a PC with a different setting.
    You have to be aware that the same holds for the currency symbol in number formats: a spreadsheet that displays $ in the US, will display