New Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade from Excel 97 to 2k, Error 429 (MS Access 97, Excell 97 and 2k)

I have a Database that was created using Office 97. Based on the user's selections it will compile some data and export to Excel.
    In one instance I use code and a template file. Everything works fine, except the main user of this function just got a new PC, it has Access 97 but Excel 2000 installed. For the export to the template I get a "Error occurred in Module1 OutputReport click. Error is 429 ActiveX component can't create object" message, debug highlights this line in Module1, "Set xl = CreateObject(gsExcel)".

I have another instance where I use a the OutputTo action in a macro, when I try to run this, I get "The ... system can't save the output data to the file you've selected, the file may be open... check to make sure the template file exists ... check to make sure you have enough free disk space." The file isn't open, I'm not using a template file, and this is a new PC with over 3GB of free disk space. Based on other posts I have checked and Dao350.dll is present and appears to be installed properly. Again, this application runs just fine on every other PC in the building, all the references are the same in both Access and Excel, the only difference I know of is the version of Excel.

Any help would be Greately appreciated.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Upgrade from Excel 97 to 2k, Error 429 (MS Access 97, Excell 97 and 2k

>>>>>>>>>all the references are the same in both Access and Excel, the only difference I know of is the version of Excel.<<<<<<<<<

I believe the reference to Excel should be different. Have you tried changing the reference from:
    Microsoft Excel 5.0 Object Library
    To:
    Microsoft Excel 9.0 Object Library?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

You may want to take a look at one of the MSKB articles cited below to see if they provide any clues for the errors you are encountering:

INFO: Troubleshooting Error 429 When Automating Office Applications

INFO: GetObject and CreateObject Behavior of Office Automation Servers

ACC2000: Error Message Using OutputTo to Output a Report to Another Format

HTH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I suggest you read the articles Mark posted. One of the big problems you're facing is the fact that Access 97 uses VBA 5 and Excel 2000 uses VBA 6. That means that the Excel object reference literally cannot be the same on the machine with Excel 2000 installed. The library names changed between versions.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks everybody. Based on your suggestions, I got rid of the Error 429, the first line of my module had "Excel.Application.8". I changed it to "Excel.Application" and the Error 429 went away, it still runs on the Excel 97 computers. I checked the references, and in Excel97 I have MS Excel 8.0 Object Library and MS Office 8.0 Object Library checked, in Excel 2000 it is the same except version 9.0 of each.

The OutputTo action still fails. I read the article Mark suggested, and it doesn't seem to apply, the only fix they suggest is "Supply a valid file name" which I have done. Should I convert this macro to VBA code and try again or will that make any difference?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

If you are using macro I'd recommend "Save As" VBA code, then if you still get OutputTo error, post the code, it might be helpful in finding out cause for error. It's hard to "debug" a macro....